honey gouramis and spike-tailed paradise fish - compatible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bubble bobble

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
will they get along? my lfs has both... and i want them both... from what i have researched, they are both very peaceful, i'm just still cautious as they're conspecifics?

the tank is fairly heavily planted, 37 gal tall tank

It really depends. Two males in my opinion would be a risk...these fish belong to the same family and if they don't have enough space, they will fight over territory. I would also suggest floating plants, as they feel comfortable hanging out under them.

How many of each were you thinking of, one? Any more than that would be a risk. Also, if you do go for both, I would add them at the same time so no one has a set territory they feel they need to defend from an intruder.

Lori is correct in pointing out the risk. IMO paradise fish can be just plain nasty.

There's only one brown spike tailed paradise fish, and in the store its in a tank packed with female bettas, cherry barbs, and others... it will chase others out of it's small territoru, but it didnt seem too aggressive. Also, it's the day's spiketail paradise fish, not the typical paradise fish. I was thinking of getting one, and getting one male honey gourami and 2 females. there will be floating plants, and lots of tall plants like bacopa and val's for them to claim / hide in...

Back
Top Bottom