Hood or Just Light?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eTrain

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm trying to decide if I want a full hood or just a light bar. Any recommendations one way or the other?

Also LED or fluorescent?

A full hood is better unless you are keeping non-jumpy fish. Also LED is better if you can afford it for reefs. It all depends on the tank you want.

You could also buy a glass top and light separately if you don't like standard hoods. It gives you a little more flexibility then a standard hood imo.

I'm not really qualified to talk about led vs fluorescent, but giving more info like the size of tank planted or not etc. might help someone help you.

smallfry53 said:
You could also buy a glass top and light separately if you don't like standard hoods. It gives you a little more flexibility then a standard hood imo.

I'm not really qualified to talk about led vs fluorescent, but giving more info like the size of tank planted or not etc. might help someone help you.

55g

48 x 21 x 12.5

Non-planted

Doing a Malawi cichlids setup

If you don't have a hood, your water will evaporate a lot faster than if you had one. You might have to do top offs once or twice a week or maybe more.

Should keep some type of cover on the tank due to moisture getting into the light.

Back
Top Bottom