Hoods with integrated filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rossmort

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I was at one of my LFS and saw a pretty cool aquarium. It was a 30 gallon (Looking for at least a 40 but maybe they have bigger) acrylic with an integrated wet/dry filter in the hood. I have seen the eclipse systems but never looked at them all that much because of their price and smaller sizes but this interests me (485 with tank, filter/hood, heater, nice stand). Since I am bad with names of course I don't remember the brand even though I looked at it right before leaving so I wouldn't forget it. Does anyone know any brands that of something that I might have looked at or have any opinions on systems like it? I haven't found many reviews of integrated filters and I don't want to waste my money on something just because it looks neat.

Thanks

This sounds like a Marineland Eclipse system, as they make larger tanks as well. I have a 12-gal model and they are fine if you do not require heavy filtration, as I find it to be minimal, just by the nature of how it is constructed. I prefer to select my own filtration and hood assembly, but that is just me! :wink:

I tend to like the HOB or canister filters better. By using separate components, you aren't so reliant on one piece of equipment. If your HOB filter dies, it's a fairly simple thing to just replace it. If the integrated system goes down, you're limited to their products and service which may or may not be available. JMHO.

Very true, I was previously thinking about getting a canister filter for the tank but I saw this and I guess more than anything got pulled in by the wet/dry part of it. It is also night to have it all self contained and flush with everything BUT I don't want to sacrifice the tank in usability over how it looks.

I really think the Eclipse system is a marvelous concept for the small tanks. I have a 3-gal Eclipse as well as the 12-gal, and when you have a small tank like that it is really nice to have everything neat and tidy, esp. since it is going to sit on a desktop or somewhere that clutter is annoying. The cords all stay behind the tank and are inobtrusive. The filtration demands of a 30-gal are better met by HOB or canister.

Okay, I'm gonna shut up now.... :)

Back
Top Bottom