Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2005, 02:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hooray! New project!!

I have decided to move my rams to their own tank a 29 gallon, which I will be picking up later today. ( I already bought the stand) The hatchets and the otos will probably also go into the 29. SOOO that leaves the 55 empty (practically)
I am seriously considering african cichlids, though I don't know exactly what yet. There are so many possibilities

Old 11-04-2005, 03:43 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Congratulations on getting your new tank. The Rams will love their new home.

Old 11-04-2005, 04:13 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Congratulations! You have quite a few options with a 55 for Africans, and only a few limitations. A good plan would include buffering sand substrate (aragonite, Caribsea's cichlid mix sand, etc.) and lots of rocks, preferably calciferous and buffering also.

You could stock it full of mbuna or have a very nice Lake Tang setup. If you have not gone there already, check out this link at Cichlid-Forum.com with suggestions for stocking a 55:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...cutter_55g.php
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 08:15 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks TG!! I will check it out. I plan to change out everything in the 55 so some of the sand from there will go in to the new tank. I ended up with a 20gal tall instead of the 29. I think it will be fine though. I saw some flourite (?) at the lps and thought about getting some for the new tank since I am planning on having it planted. Pros/cons on this stuff?
The 20gal is up and full of water. I know I should have filled it in the bathroom so lets hope it doesn't explode!!
Old 11-04-2005, 08:39 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Planting an African cichlid tank is tricky, but it can be done, as we know from
Travis Simonson. Mbuna are generally plant-eaters/destroyers, lol. I would definitely enlist Travis' help if you want to do this in your 55.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
yeah for the new tank! An african tank can be very exciting! I chose peacocks for mine, primarily because they are not as common around here. Although I have some mbuna that are peaceful living quite happily with them. Also the peacocks have beautiful finnage and very beautiful colors as do many of the mbuna. Choices choices. Half the fun is deciding what to get.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2005, 09:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I was going to suggest peacocks, or maybe some cockatoos. They're more of the striking coloured cichlids.
Old 12-01-2005, 08:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

finally got around to "rinsing" the flourite. Boy that stuff is muddy. There were actual clumps of mud that I had to break apart. YUCK. I didn't bother rinsing very long. Just put small amounts in a bowl, swished it around with some water for a few minutes and put it into a bucket. transferred the bucket of flourite to the new aquarium and now I have a big tank of mud. Once that settles, I will take out the driftwood from the 55 that I want to use and de-BBA it. (how do I take off the Java fern? just rip it off the wood?) And THEN I transfer sand and remaining plants. And last of all the fish. Today is Thursday? yes. Will I have this done by the end of the weekend?? I do hope so! Wish me luck!
Old 12-01-2005, 09:32 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Gently grasp the plant by the rhizome and gently pull it away - it should come off relatively easily, and often all in one piece.

Good luck with your project - believe me, I know exactly what you are going through!
Old 12-09-2005, 11:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

so far I have about 6 plants (I don't know what they are, but they are long and stemmy) moved from the 55 to the 20, and I moved over the guppies (4) Just to make sure the tank is habitable and to try and keep it cycled. Though I know 4 guppies is not much of a bioload. I am Still cleaning plants and decor with bleach. I have been doing a plant here, a cave there. The dumb algae is a PAIN. I am hoping for new lights and a new heater for christmas so HOPEFULLY everything will be done by then. I have been keeping a photo journal of the whole process and I will show it to you guys when I am finished. (If I ever get there)

Tags
project

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com