Hormone Enhanced Fish at Petco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDogg

Aquarium Advice Addict
does petco sell hormone or chemicaly enhanced (color wise) fish?

i picked up a "female" Cobalt Blue Malawi Cichlid the other days and she is as bright as my male...(i think she is female..only has one small egg spot)

It's entirely possible and it would depend on whom they are purchasing their livestock from. I've not heard of hormone enhanced ARLC's though, just SA cichlids.

hummm..maybe i got a second male...how big do they have to be before you can realy sex them?

Which Cobalt are we talking about? There are two different blue Cobalt Malawi Mbuna. Do you know the scientific name?

My female Calls are just as bright as the males. I feed NLS which is supposed to enhance the coloration.

Fishyfanatic said:
Which Cobalt are we talking about? There are two different blue Cobalt Malawi Mbuna. Do you know the scientific name?

My female Calls are just as bright as the males. I feed NLS which is supposed to enhance the coloration.
as far as i know they are Maylandia callainos

what is the other species so i can compare?

There is the Red Top Cobalt, Cobalt Blue Zebra, and Callainos. The egg spots on the Callainos are False. They will not indicate male/female. Some sources say that they will but they don't. Females can be just as bright as males. Compare the forehead if you want a better guess at the sex. Otherwise venting would be your only true way to tell.

Back
Top Bottom