Horn wart with algae...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larochem595

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I have a new issue in my tank-- my horn wart has been getting all full of algae. Its nice and warm and full of light up at the top, which has led to algal growth on all the needles. Any ideas about how to fix it?
Thanks for any ideas you might have,
Michelle

I had the same problem with algae coated hornwort when I kept it. I squeezed as much algae off the plant with my fingers during weekly tank maintenence. Of course the hornwort sheds needles when you do that. Hopefully one of our aqua gardeners will chime in with a more scientific plan of action. Lol. Good luck.

for the moment, I took out the algae covered pieces and stuck them in a bucket under my tank. I am hoping that the lower light and the cooler water will help some of the algae die off. Will let you know how that works....

Hello Michelle...

Algae is a normal part of keeping a tank. The stuff is a real benefit. It's the best natural water filter available and an important part of the diet of whatever you have living in the tank.

You can control it to an extent by not feeding too much and avoid flaked food that's high in phosphate. Gradually work up to the point you're removing and replacing at least half the tank water every few days. This will maintain a steady water chemistry and slow the growth of the algae.

Floating plants use water nutrients faster than algae, so heavily plant the tank using them. Hornwort, Anacharis, Water sprite, Pennywort and a good land plant like Chinese evergreen will help. I prefer the evergreen, but it takes some work to prepare it for a water environment.

B

My problem is that my horn wart is full of algae...how can I safely get it off?

My idea worked great! I took it out of the tank for about 2 days and stuck it in a bucket under my tank. I rinsed it off and was able to put about 3/4 of it back in the tank. A few pieces were still not great, but overall it's a lot better.
I think just keeping away from the heat and direct light for 2 days was enough to kill the algae. I answered my own question...lol

Back
Top Bottom