Hornwort

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuietPlotter

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi!

My hornwort is totally taking over the tank. I'm going to trim it but what happens if I don't?

How fast does it regrow? If it keeps it up at this pace I'll have to take it out.

Ideas?

Attachments

• image-2331424791.jpg
    image-2331424791.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 135
Hahah thats not ivertaking the tank! Haha you should have seen my hornwort, it was everywhere and it looked pretty sick!! Haha i eventually trimmed it though, i suggest trimming the bottom, dont trim the top. It will grow back in no time

Yeah but I'm afraid it'll destroy my tank! I just got it as a "christmas tree" for the fish. I'll swap it for crypts.

I had hornwort in a 55 gal molly colony tank. I left it grow out for the fry to hide in and in nine months I was pulling out some stems that were 5 feet long. Its really good for helping to keep nitrates low also.

Why does it help keep nitrates low??? I have never heard that before. An ya my piece grew 3-4" in like 5 days

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Why does it help keep nitrates low??? I have never heard that before. An ya my piece grew 3-4" in like 5 days

All plants consume nitrate. The hornwort floats on the surface and has access to more co2 than a submerged plant so it grows faster consuming more nitrates.

(Shakes head sadly) You think that little piece is taking over the tank? THIS is hornwort taking over a tank (38 gallons.)
img_1715522_0_606358eab8b4c40366f625380ecd5139.jpg

Hornwort has nothing on Najas for fast growth though, here's a pic of a 75 about 6 weeks after I tossed in a couple handfuls of Najas from a 30 long:
img_1715522_1_581b2fdb056730f09292a0fbcafbd24d.jpg

Both tanks have regular FL 4' shop lights hanging above them for the plants.

I would keep the hornwort and grow it above but keep an eye on it. Just keep trimming it. That will give your crypts some time to adjust to your tank. It normally takes a couple months for cryptocoryne to establish properly before it spreads. Also, you don't want too much direct light on it.

toddnbecka said:
(Shakes head sadly) You think that little piece is taking over the tank? THIS is hornwort taking over a tank (38 gallons.)

Hornwort has nothing on Najas for fast growth though, here's a pic of a 75 about 6 weeks after I tossed in a couple handfuls of Najas from a 30 long:

Both tanks have regular FL 4' shop lights hanging above them for the plants.

That's not a plant that's a MONSTER!! I thought I had it bad in my tank!

Crypts won't care about too much direct light, in a setup with that kind of lighting.

Hornwort is a fast grower, no doubt. I'm not sure why you are concerned with it taking over since a pair of scissors will make short work of any excess... just trim the plant back and toss the excess, or learn how to ship and trade with other hobbyists.

That's not the issue. The issue is the constant trimming, I don't want to trim it every other day lol.

Back
Top Bottom