hospital/quarantine tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sisserydoo

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I want to have a spare tank for hospital/quarantine purposes. I already have a spare 10 gallon tank, I just need a heater and filter.

I also have two established 10 gallon tanks that have been running for 5 and 2 years.

I thought if I got the same type of filter for the hospital tank as my established tanks, that if I ever need it I can pull the filter media out of the established tank and put it in the hospital, and it's good to go. Pretty much an instant cycle.

Does that sound like a good idea? Does anyone have any other ideas on making hospital tanks instantly ready, or does anyone keep them running all the time?

So I want to have a spare tank for hospital/quarantine purposes. I already have a spare 10 gallon tank, I just need a heater and filter.

I also have two established 10 gallon tanks that have been running for 5 and 2 years.

I thought if I got the same type of filter for the hospital tank as my established tanks, that if I ever need it I can pull the filter media out of the established tank and put it in the hospital, and it's good to go. Pretty much an instant cycle.

Does that sound like a good idea? Does anyone have any other ideas on making hospital tanks instantly ready, or does anyone keep them running all the time?

I was kind of thinking the same thing. I don't want an empty hospital tank running my in living room (where my DT is) maybe I'll have to put it in my office and let it run all the time...I would love suggestions too.

Hi! That will work (pulling media from est filter) as long as the removing the media doesnt throw the established tank back into a cycle. Your other options would be to run an additional filter(s) on your established tanks & just move them over to the qt when you need to use it. I do this with my little tank (run extra filter on another est tank) but i also keep my cycled 20g running all the time because i am frequently using it. In this tank, i dose it to 4ppm ammonia daily (well, almost daily) & do wcs when i need to use it. Hope this helps!

Hi! That will work (pulling media from est filter) as long as the removing the media doesnt throw the established tank back into a cycle. Your other options would be to run an additional filter(s) on your established tanks & just move them over to the qt when you need to use it. I do this with my little tank (run extra filter on another est tank) but i also keep my cycled 20g running all the time because i am frequently using it. In this tank, i dose it to 4ppm ammonia daily (well, almost daily) & do wcs when i need to use it. Hope this helps!

Maybe I'll do that...keep it running in my office with a filter (I could just throw the media from the new filter into the DT filter for a week or so and then add it to the QT couldn't I? Would a week suffice? Maybe I'll throw some tubes in there for hidding places once there is a fish in there. I can't have substrate in there right? What else other than a heater should be in there?

jlk said:
Hi! That will work (pulling media from est filter) as long as the removing the media doesnt throw the established tank back into a cycle.

I don't think it will. I actually put a new filter cartridge in maybe twice a year, and have never noticed any problems with that. I think that's going to be my plan then.

Will this tank need 3-4 weeks to cycle too? Even if it's a tiny 10g? Hmmm...now I'm wondering if I should've got them both running at the same time :(

Can't I buy a sponge filter too? Throw that in the DT leave it a week or two, then add it to the QT to cycle?

If you want to use the 10g, it will need to be cycled. You can add the new/additional filter media to your established tanks filter to grow bacteria but this will take atleast 3-4 weeks to grow properly. One week will not be long enough. Im not sure if your talking about buying an established sponge filter or a brand new sponge filter-an established (live) filter can be used immediately & will basically give you an instantly cycled tank. You would need to keep it in your cycled tank if your not using it right away. A new sponge filter would have to grow bacteria before you could use it (3-4 wks). A substrate in qt tank isnt necessary unless you want to put something in it. A few hiding places for your fish would be a good idea to reduce their stress levels. Hope this helps!

I don't understand - Help

Hi - I really don't understand the whole hospital tank thing.

I just got a 10 gallon with a heater, new filter and all.

What do I do? I have a fish in distress and want to QT and treat NOW.

Can someone just tell me what it is I should do TODAY to help this fish. He's a long fin danio and seems week.

(I put him hanging in to a breeders tank this morning in case someone was beating up on him, which is what I suspect)

Thanks! :thanks:

Janelle

Whoops - I meant for that to be a new thread - not a reply.

Help anyways?

Thank you.

Hi Janelle! Is your main tank established (cycled)? If so, you can move some media into your 10g filter to help seed the new filter with bacteria. If this isnt an option, just make sure you are using a good water conditioner & temperature matching the new tank water to your established tank. You will have to be viligant on daily water checks & water changes on the new tank to keep the water as healthy as possible for your sick fish. Do you know what is wrong with him? You should post a question in the 'unhealthy fish' section for help with a diagnosis & treatment options if you are unsure on what is going on or how to treat him. Hope this helps!

I do have two cycled tanks... If I take that established filter media, should I expect that it would *instant cycle* the tank?

thank you JLK

Guarenteed instant cycle? Not necessarily but most likely. Just keep on eye on the qt tanks parameters & do pwcs if needed. You should be doing them anyway to keep the water as healthy as possible for your sick fish. Small tanks tend to get toxic quickly because of the small volume of water so its always a good idea to keep a close watch! :)

Back
Top Bottom