hostile in-mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nedge85

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anyone got any experience of shrimp attacking snails? Ive heard if it occurring the other way, but ive jus witnessed a female Glass shrimp "whip" an Assassin out of it shell

Ghosties will attack small fish too.

the term "Ghost Shrimp" is a blanket term that covers dozens, if not hundreds of species of glass/grass shrimp. I've kept several different ones with fish and have never had an issue, as they don't typically have the tools to do damage to healthy fish even if they wanted to.

However, I have had some macrobrachium (red claw macros) shrimp that sometimes find their way into the ghost shrimp tank, and they have both the weaponry and attitude to take out fish.

So, I would say that most ghost shrimp are safe, but to be sure just take a good look at them and it'll give you a good idea.

My red claw macros were excellent at snail control, they pluck them right out of the shells. Only problem is they were excellent at shrimp control also, killing RCS with ease.

Here's a cell vid I took a while ago of one of them eating a snail :)

Back
Top Bottom