Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

House being sprayed for bugs.

So as it says in the title my house is being sprayed for bugs. I was told that the fish will be ok. I'm not 100% happy with being told this. My question is this, what precautions should I take to be more comfortable? I was thinking if just covering the tank with some plastic to eliminate any openings (same thing I did when I painted). Will this be enough?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

the fumes rise up from the floor so totally incase them in plastic, tape all plastic to stand or what ever but leave no holes. i learned the hard way and lost 75 quarter size angel fish. also air out the rooms that the tanks are in befor uncovering them.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh my god bob McCoy! Glad to know that we are doing that soon and my step dad was like "they'll be fine" and I was like "NO it's risky!!!"
Glad to know so I can show him this thread!!
Old 08-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It might depend what chemical it is and how much it gets dispersed into the air but I had to flea bomb my house a few years back and I just shut off my filters and pumps and covered the tank for the two hours I had to be gone and I just aired the house out before uncovering and turning the tank back on and I had 0 loss of life. But when it comes to our aquatic friends its always a good idea to be a little more cautious than we probably need to be and if I ever have to bomb the house for bugs again I plan on sealing the tank much better than I did the first time around.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I certainly don't want any losses. Like I said the company said that they will be safe, but I don't feel comfortable with that. I am going to use some floor plastic we have left over from painting to cover the tanks.

Could I leave the filter on if its covered up? I will be turning off the air pump, don't want to pump anything into the tank.

Thanks for the reassurance on covering my tanks. I never know if I'm being over paranoid with my little fish buddies some times.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Good advice so far. In addition, you may want to add activated carbon as a precaution.

David
Old 08-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAl View Post
Good advice so far. In addition, you may want to add activated carbon as a precaution.

David
That's not a bad idea. I was just about to post a thread on carbon for a med tank. I've never used it before so have no idea. Do I just put it into the filter?
Old 08-20-2013, 02:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

yes u can leave filter running as long as tank is totally covered. also make sure all tank supplies are bagged up and food also. nets and such. anything u touch for the fish bag it up or cover it. i can not stress enough anything to do with your fish bag it or cover it. when it comes to our fish when in doubt ask we can never be to safe
Old 08-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongeer247 View Post
That's not a bad idea. I was just about to post a thread on carbon for a med tank. I've never used it before so have no idea. Do I just put it into the filter?
Yes. Put it in a mesh bag and drop it into the filter. If this is not possible, put it in the path of the outflow. Make sure to wash it first.

David
Old 08-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob mccoy View Post
yes u can leave filter running as long as tank is totally covered. also make sure all tank supplies are bagged up and food also. nets and such. anything u touch for the fish bag it up or cover it. i can not stress enough anything to do with your fish bag it or cover it. when it comes to our fish when in doubt ask we can never be to safe
Thank you! They are like family to me. I'm wrapping everything up. Probably put most of it into my car outside the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAl View Post

Yes. Put it in a mesh bag and drop it into the filter. If this is not possible, put it in the path of the outflow. Make sure to wash it first.

David
Pretty easy then. Thank you! I will be getting some carbon today or tomorrow.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I have a story

I came home and found a huge roach in my room, I started putting venom in every corner and everything, my mom came to help, as she accidentally caused like 3 drops to fall in my 29 gallon, I thought I was done for, but my fish seem to be ok, this happened 2 days ago and my fish are fine
Old 08-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfish loach boy View Post
Well, I have a story

I came home and found a huge roach in my room, I started putting venom in every corner and everything, my mom came to help, as she accidentally caused like 3 drops to fall in my 29 gallon, I thought I was done for, but my fish seem to be ok, this happened 2 days ago and my fish are fine
Ouch! Im glad they are doing fine. Hopefully nothing pops up.

I think I'm more worried about my fry tank then I am about my main tank.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the advice and help everyone! All the little fishes are alive and kickin'!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com