How about this - non traditional lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
Never seen that before or seen it used, but I don't see why it would not work.

Might be a little strong for such a small tank but you never know until you try it out. What are you trying to grow, if anything? If you are not venturing into live plants I would maybe try to find a bulb with less wattage. When you get around 2.5wpg you need to start CO2 and dosing ferts to keep the algae at bay.

Don't worry about nagging us to death! I was a complete nag when I first started and they even made me a Moderator. LOL! :)

Should be fine for medium light plants. WPG "rule" isn't really applicable to such a small tank. I run a 27w clip on light on my 5 US gal tank. Just make sure it is set high enough above the tank so that you are getting even coverage.

WPG "rule" isn't really applicable to such a small tank.

Yes, that is true. I was trying to avoid that debate again. That is why I added my disclaimer "you never know until you try". ;) I just wanted to make him aware that he might run into some algae issues later down the road.

Steve is right - you are above what most would consider a low light threshold with that light. It may become necessary to dose some ferts or even get into CO2 down the road should algae start to take off.

Might be a little strong for such a small tank but you never know until you try it out. What are you trying to grow, if anything? If you are not venturing into live plants I would maybe try to find a bulb with less wattage. When you get around 2.5wpg you need to start CO2 and dosing ferts to keep the algae at bay.

Don't worry about nagging us to death! I was a complete nag when I first started and they even made me a Moderator. LOL! :)

Haha, so there's hope for me yet :p

Basically, I'm hoping to grow Amazon swords, java fern, anubias, moss, anacharis,etc for the time being & if I manage to keep them alive then hopefully bigger and better plants haha. I have swords in my 12 gallon, with a T8 15watt incandescent bulb, I love them but their not having much light so hopefully that desk lamp will save them lol.

I just wanted to make him aware that he might run into some algae issues later down the road.

& im a she haha. Would I have to do CO2 because I was really hoping I wouldnt have to go down that road.

I think with your plant selections, you could get away with no CO2. Just keep the lighting period short (~8 hrs). You may find your tank would benefit from some root tabs a/o liquid fertilizer down the road, but you can cross that bridge when you come to it.

Just keep an eye on plant health and algae growth, and make adjustments accordingly. Folks here on the forum will help you if/when you run into any problems with nutrient deficiencies or algae.

& im a she haha.

Sorry about that! :oops:

You can probably get away without adding any CO2 but if algae becomes an issue you might have to do something. I agree with the addition of root tabs, my swords always grow like crazy when I put new root tabs in. I replace mine about every month or every other.

I think with your plant selections, you could get away with no CO2. Just keep the lighting period short (~8 hrs). You may find your tank would benefit from some root tabs a/o liquid fertilizer down the road, but you can cross that bridge when you come to it.

Just keep an eye on plant health and algae growth, and make adjustments accordingly. Folks here on the forum will help you if/when you run into any problems with nutrient deficiencies or algae.

I do use Seachem Flourish Excel. That only seems to help my moss grow like crazy though haha.

Sorry about that! :oops:

You can probably get away without adding any CO2 but if algae becomes an issue you might have to do something. I agree with the addition of root tabs, my swords always grow like crazy when I put new root tabs in. I replace mine about every month or every other.

Lol, Its ok. Easy mistake :)

Couldn't I just get a few otos to help with the algae? or is that a stupid question? haha

Otos would help with some forms of algae but not all. With a planted tank algae is almost inevitable. The key is to keep it in check and keep nutrients/light balanced to deprive the algae of what it needs to grow. Algae is a simple form of a plant so what makes plants thrive also makes algae thrive. Being a simpler life form means it can usually capitalize on an imbalance where as more complex plants require a little more balance and TLC to make them thrive.

So, basically just keep the tank super clean and the lighting down to a minimum and I should be OK? Is that what you mean? Sorry if i'm sounding stupid, its just a natural talent of mine haha.

If you find that it's necessary to supplement carbon (CO2 or Flourish Excel) then for that size aquarium I think that Flourish Excel is likely to be your best bet. It's fairly cost effective and won't give you the headaches that DIY CO2 would.

I had 36 watts over a 5.5 gallon aquarium, and certainly wouldn't have considered it to be anywhere near high light even though it had over 6 WPG. I think you should be fine with that light if you decide to give it a try.

Well, the light came this morning its pretty ugly but it makes my tank look awesome so I can't complain really haha I was just wondering what plants I could grow under it. Would it be your basic low-light plants such as anubias, java fern, duckweed, moss,etc or would I be able to grow low-moderate plants aswell?

Check out
PlantGeek.net - Your Aquatic Plant Resource

It lists almost every common (and not so common) aquatic plant, and you can list it by lighting requirements. There are a lot of options out there. Most common are anubias, java moss, java fern, some crypts.

Post some pics of the tank with the light when you get a chance!

Back
Top Bottom