How Are These Goldfish Still Alive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manic Fury

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm home for Thanksgiving and my Aunt has a 29 gallon fish tank with 4 fancy goldfish in it and a sucker fish. No air stone. A 20-40 gallon filter. I don't think she uses dechlorinator.

I know that you're supposed to have at least a 90 gallon tank for that many goldfish.

Just wondering how/why these fish are able to live. They all seem happy and healthy. No signs of stress or illness.

Picture related.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131128_155810.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131128_155810.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 73
Goldfish are quite hardy but thats pushing it, atleast there is a filter, i have seen higher stocked tanks with no filtration. There must be a good coloney of bb in her filter then haha

Must be. I asked her how long she's had them and she said about 5 years. I was in shock. I couldn't keep my 1 goldfish alive in a 10 gallon tank for more than 3 weeks when I first started out.

Unbelievable. These fish must be gods. Haha

Clearly, the filter is very capable.
Goldfish are far tougher than you may think - they have survived 100s of years of domestication, so they tolerate a wide range of conditions. They are related to crucian carp that can tolerate zero oxygen for many weeks under the right conditions by producing a kind of natural anaesthetic! It is thought that crucian carp (Carassius carassius) were used in the production of coloured fish from the wild goldfish Carassius auratus

Maybe she got the capacity of the filter wrong when she told you. She may have massivley overfitered tank, either way goldfish have a huge bio load, the tank looks clean tho. Does she have any live plants or do water changes?

I checked the filter and it's the standard amount for that tank. She said she doesn't do water changes except for once a month.

I dunno. Maybe everything is fine. It just amazes me!

Sometimes its all okay sometimes its not? Hope they do well in the long run nice fish !

Back
Top Bottom