How big do ghost shrimp get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

feeder_guppy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought 3 ghost shrimp at a pet store today and I picked out two monster ones, they only had two big ones. they are about [-------------------------------] that big! I thought the adult size was about [------------] DO they grow any bigger?

Ghost shrimp max out at about 1". It could have been an amano shrimp, they can get upto 2".

Yeah, I don't think you got ghost shrimp there.....I have several adults myself right now and they are only about 1 inch.

well, i got them for the 46 cents that was charged, is that a good deal that it wasn't ghost shrimps? and they have black lines all over them, if that helps. I looked at the,m just now, it may be algea on them growing in a weird pattern, is that possible?

feeder_guppy said:
I just bought 3 ghost shrimp at a pet store today and I picked out two monster ones, they only had two big ones. they are about [-------------------------------] that big! I thought the adult size was about [------------] DO they grow any bigger?

True ghost shrimp (Palaemonetes spp.) attain a maximum length of 5 cm. Can you post an image of you "monster" specimens? They may, in truth, be Macrobrachium spp., the juveniles of which often turn up amongst feeder ghosts.

Can you post a link. I never thought ghost shrimp got past 1" at least mine never had.

I don't have a digital camera or anything to take a picture with...........I wish I did. They resemble a ghost shrimp in many ways exept size and colour in ways. It doesn't have the little white dots all over like many ghosts have. I checked out the other thing that "amano shrimp" WHat I have looked at, it doesn't look like it..... I will try to get a picture.

oh, I just checked out the links talloulou posted and the ones I have look almost identicle to the ghost shrimp. The amano or whatever has a rounded off back, if you know what I am talking about. Mine have the same back as the ghost shrimp, only bigger :lol:

well, that is a relief. I am not the only one......... But I am trying to get a picture. I took some today, just need to bring it to the photo place to develop them.

well, the people there said that they must have been in there for a long time. But the ghosts are feeders, so I am suprised they lasted so long, i bet they don't really even get fed at that place or not fed a lot. maybe they do feed them though. But they are awesome!

Back
Top Bottom