Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-08-2004, 09:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How can I catch my pictus cat?

I have a 4" pictus cat in my 29g tall that is ALWAYS in hiding in the back of the tank. He is no fun at all. I've been seeing alot of agression between him and my pleco recently too. I want to give him back to the lfs, but don't know how to get him out without taking everything out and chasing him around eith a big net (such a bad idea).

I want to get rid of him because he's never out, is a PIG and eats whatever I tried to feed my reedfish (before he committed suicide ), and I know they generally shouldn't be kept alone. Any ideas of how to get him out without taking everything out and stressing my other fish?

Does anyone have plans for an easy to build "fish trap" that I could possibly lure him into?

PS - Does anyone have any good reason to why I should keep him? hehe

30 gallon tall Eclipse II: 4 Praecox Rainbow Fish, 2 Australian Rainbowfish, 3 zebra snails, 2 Clown Loaches, 2 Congo Tetra, 2 Boesemani Rainbowfish, 1 Red Irian Rainbowfish, 1 Bronze Corydora, 1 Golden Panchax Killifish, 1 Aplocheilus lineolatus Killifish, 1 Common Pleco (~5 in.), 1 candystripe Pleco (~1 1/2 in.)

My online photos
illuminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2004, 10:13 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to flipz
Do a search in the forums for the fish trap. I know it's in a couple places, it's very simple. Just involves a 20 oz plastic coke bottle. Sorry I don' thave a direct link, I'm in a rush. Hope that helps.

-brent

Old 05-08-2004, 10:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Two small nets work great.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:25 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I would think that a fish trap in that tank will catch any of your fish, possibly all of your fish.
Try two nets--that worked for my fiance and I when we were trying to pull a brooding cichlid out of the 80 gal (it was a lot of work and we may had used three nets, but better than pulling ALL the lace rock out ).

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 04:29 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to cdawson
WARNING: Pictus cats have spines that friggin hurt when you get poked by them. Avoid using a net and try to bait the fish into a small container or build a fish trap out of a bottle that's had the top cut off and stuck inside upside down into the bottom piece. Then bait it with a shrimp pellet.
Old 05-09-2004, 01:11 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
cdawson makes an excellent point. With the pictus cats, all he's going to do when you put him into the net is twist and flop, and get his two barbs stuck in the nets...I've had this happen ohhh so many times..trust me... Then you usually have to cut them out, cause the nets stick and all...I would try the trap if I were you, or honestly, get another pictus...

If I remember correctly, they will lose their aggresiveness with more than one...but I'm not sure. I have two, and they hide all day yes, but don't bother a soul...they are very peaceful. I'd do some research, maybe you have an aggressive male? HTH

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 01:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I do have had my cat (columbian) get her barbs stuck in the net and she had to be cut out. no fun

-brent
Old 05-10-2004, 03:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawson
WARNING: Pictus cats have spines that friggin hurt when you get poked by them. Avoid using a net and try to bait the fish into a small container or build a fish trap out of a bottle that's had the top cut off and stuck inside upside down into the bottom piece. Then bait it with a shrimp pellet.
Where are the spines? I can't see them, but I've heard of them multiple times.

30 gallon tall Eclipse II: 4 Praecox Rainbow Fish, 2 Australian Rainbowfish, 3 zebra snails, 2 Clown Loaches, 2 Congo Tetra, 2 Boesemani Rainbowfish, 1 Red Irian Rainbowfish, 1 Bronze Corydora, 1 Golden Panchax Killifish, 1 Aplocheilus lineolatus Killifish, 1 Common Pleco (~5 in.), 1 candystripe Pleco (~1 1/2 in.)

My online photos
illuminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 03:42 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well if it's like my columbian cat, they are on the back of her 2 side fins. You can't really see them, but they are sharp and have toxins. Sorry I don't know biological terms, but the 2 main ones she swims with. Also I am almost positive that the whiskers have toxins in them too.

-brent
Old 05-10-2004, 08:02 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

The pectoral fins have/are the "spines". If you are looking down the fish, it is the two that stick out on the sides up closer to the head of the fish. And yes, they are very sharp...not sure about the toxins though, I've never gotten sick when I've gotten poked by them . But they will cut you if you rub them the wrong way. So be careful.

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Old 05-10-2004, 09:12 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The toxins are just made to slow down the healing process. In humans you won't really notice it, since we are 100+ lbs (at minimum) to our catfish. But your 1/2 ounce fish will notice if they rub them the wrong way. 8O

I have read too that they (the columbian at least) has toxins near her mouth. That's all the detail it gave me though, so I just assumed it was in the whiskers.

-brent
Old 05-11-2004, 12:20 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Very interesting flipz, I didn't know about the toxins. And BTW, I was joking about the human things, I wouldn't expect to get sick from the little fish...I just used the wrong smiley, LOL.

Tags
pictus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com