how can i get rid of hair alge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

convict78

Aquarium Advice Regular
i bought a large amount of plants from craigslist about two months ago.the guy who sold me them said that one batch was infected with hair alge.i didnt think it would be bad so i put it in.well now my plants seem to slowly get covered with it.i pull it off but it just comes back.i have had to throw out entire plants covered in it.is their anything i can do? my plecos dont touch it i was thinking maybe shrimp will eat it

Freshwater Algae Types: An Illustrated Guide - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

That's probably my favorite algae site.

Aquaticscape.com

this is my second

I've never had to deal with hair algae, but I think the "chewers" rather than the suckers would be more prone to eat hair algae. I think gold barbs might eat it. Usually for the other algaes (non-pleco/oto algaes) people tend to recommend red cherry shrimp, siamese algae eaters, or florida flagfish.

Oh, rereading the site, they also recommend amano shrimp and black mollies

thanks

Freshwater Algae Types: An Illustrated Guide - Article at The Age of Aquariums - Tropical Fish

That's probably my favorite algae site.

Aquaticscape.com

this is my second

I've never had to deal with hair algae, but I think the "chewers" rather than the suckers would be more prone to eat hair algae. I think gold barbs might eat it. Usually for the other algaes (non-pleco/oto algaes) people tend to recommend red cherry shrimp, siamese algae eaters, or florida flagfish.

Oh, rereading the site, they also recommend amano shrimp and black mollies
i now know i have staghorn alge thx again i have looked everywhere to find out how to get rid of it

If you have staghorn and not hair algae, its a bit easier to get rid of IMO. Usually it grows in low flow areas of the tank so if you can add a powerhead to the area(s) with the staghorn, that will usually clear it up. Keep pulling out what you can and if you have to cut the leaves off that have it the worst. Make sure your nutrients are in check and that you aren't overfertilizing. Also, cutting back on the light some can help.

Adding a fish/shrimp to eat algae usually doesn't work. I would try to identify and fix the problem, otherwise it won't go away.

just went and got a couple chinese alge eaters.thats what it said would eat it in the link.i figure it wont hurt if anything.and i have a pretty strong power head that flows right into a plant that has it,and from the picture of the staghorn i can tell that is what it is.it isnt green its brown on the edges of the plants.

Back
Top Bottom