how deep should my PFS sand be

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just added it to a cleaned out tank. I have the HOB filter running, a heater going, and added a few drops of ammonia (along with some stones and driftwood.... Figure get the driftwood soaked and it will also help provide a place for the bacteria to start colonizing (filter media is fresh off an established tank).

The 50lb bag of sand gave me about 3 inches, to me it just looks too high for my tastes.... What is a good height to fill it with sand?

i have mine somewhere between 1.5-2".. its just barely over the trim on the tank... Thats generally the guidline i follow for substrate is just barely over the trim...

Are you growing plants? If so, you need 3-4" for some plants to root. <I slope mine so it is 4-5" in back & 1-2" in front.> If you are just going for looks, then 1" or so should so. <You don't want it too deep or you may get anaerobic pockets .... making stirring the sand mandatory.>

i just run my gravel vac down to the bottom and lift it up and it pulls any debris out as the sand falls back down.. not to threadjack, but is that not the proper way to do so?

cool. I am going to have it planted :) Sloping it might be a good idea :)

Duh, also forgot to ask why the PFS (silica) is illegal/not for sale in California?

ammonia was too high so I did a water change and got it down to 4ppm.... also learned that vac'ing sand is a touch different than doing it to gravel :)

Back
Top Bottom