how did i get this snail?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willowthepoet

Aquarium Advice Activist
oh no.

i just went to feed my fish, and what do i spot but a snail hanging out on one of my plants.

i know that it had to have come from the plants since the only snails i've ever bought were ramshorns. but the thing is... i put the new plants in a bucket of ice and let them sit there until the ice was completely melted.

i don't want to kill the guy. if he could survive that, he deserves to stay in my tank.

but HOW did he survive? 8O

edit - i just looked around at snail species, and i think that this is what he is: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=1077

help?

I would think he went dormant. I know snails in lakes survive freezing temperatures, as do snails outside.. Just a thought, you may have put him into hibernation.. Tho I'm no snail expert. every snail that get's in my tank is killed off(Including the 1 that's been in there for 8 months, saw the shell cracked open today.)

About a month ago another member sent me some plants wrapped in wet newspaper. Along with the plants were three ramshorn snails. They survived 5 days in the mail, in the cold, without water. I think if the world goes under nuclear attack, snails will die AFTER roaches. LOL

ain't that the truth, I still think the red ramshorn snail I had either was microscopically attached to one of the fish I bought or literally made itself from nothing, I have no clue where it came from

so... if i start seeing lots, can they safely be fed to my dwarf puffer? i only have 1 DP, so is it possible to over-snail them?

are my plants safe or should i throw in some other form of vegetation (romaine or something) for them to attach to until i get an algae growth? (it's a relatively new tank, and i tend to not have algae for the first couple months)

edit - but it's not all snails that reproduce like crazy, is it? because i've had my one lone ramshorn snail in my guppy tank for about 3 months without any more popping up.

tropicfishman said:
ain't that the truth, I still think the red ramshorn snail I had either was microscopically attached to one of the fish I bought or literally made itself from nothing, I have no clue where it came from

SAme thing happened to me, all of the sudden i saw a ramshorn snail and i didnt know whrere it cam from

Back
Top Bottom