How difficult to double aquarium size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charchar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone, I hope someone can offer me some advice!!

I quite new to the aquarium world and its quite quickly become and obsession!

I bought a tank and was told it was 100 litres. I've come to realise it was only 70 litres (I know I should have checked!) but have slowly stocked it as 100L so now realised I am over stocked. I bought a 100L tank and have been cycling it for a while and should be ready to move the fish over soon.

Yesterday I was offered a 130 L tank for free! (I have checked the measurements of this one and it is 130L) would I be taking on too much switching to 130L this soon? I'm just worried about general up keep, expenses, with regards to ferts, conditioners etc.

But I'm excited about the prospect of potentially growing my fish collection!

Can anyone help me decide??

If you are new to aquarium keeping, bigger tanks are easier to maintain. I would say if you want a bigger tank, have space for it and can afford it, go for it.

From personal experience, i didnt really realise how much more expensive a bigger tank is than a smaller one however.

Obviously the tank you are thinking about is free. Running costs, ie power will be nominally more expensive. The cost increase for me was in getting bigger filters, longer light fittings, more powerful heater, more substrate, more driftwood and rock work. The amount of water conditioner and ferts will go up. And of course your livestock costs will increase.

You havent said whether the tank comes with all the equipment and is it in good condition? Are you planning on running this bigger tank and keeping the 2 smaller ones?

I would recommend keeping the 70 litre as a quarantine tank in case its needed.

One thing that would benefit you would be transfering the filter media from your partially cycled 100 litre to the 130 litre. This will speed up the cycling process immensely.

All in all i would go for it, assuming you have space, that it wont stretch your finances too far, and that the 130 litre tank is in good condition.

The only thing I would add is be VERY sure the tank hold water with no leaks. If it has been in use up until now and you have actually seen it running that is good. IF NOT I STONGLY recommend running it filled with the filter, somewhere you can easily drajn it if necesaary for several weeks as any leaks that might occur can take awhile to appear. I had a 55g/208l tank that I had had resealed due to a previous leaking seam suddenly develop a leak after 2 weeks running with fish & decor in it.

So if you have 70l going to a 130l it's almost double. I would add another filter and most of your cost would be lighting and the stand or base for the tank. I say go for it.

if the tank is empty and dry I would reseal it before you do anything. Perfect opportunity and peace of mind knowing that it won't have any leaking issues.

Back
Top Bottom