Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2005, 09:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

(How) Do fish sleep or rest ?

One of my Angels gives me worry at the moment
(see also http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=63863)
and you can tell that something is not normal.
It looks like he is exhausted and lays down on the ground for about 5 minutes before he goes back to the surface again.

Is this typical behaviour for a 'tired' fish, sinking to the bottom ?

Old 10-19-2005, 09:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish do sorta sleep but what you are describing with your angel definitely sounds more like an illness. He is obviously not just resting if you can tell something isn't quite right. And while I think all my fish sleep none of them become so overcome with exhaustion that they "sink" to the bottem as you describe. As far as how different fish sleep....I think it must depend on the type of fish your talking about. I never owned angels so I have no idea if they rest on the bottem when they are healthy or not.

Old 10-19-2005, 09:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Mine always hover at the top after lights out. Your fish is not well.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:28 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can tell when my betta is "sleeping". His tank is in the bathroom and sometimes when I go in at night he is resting on his plant with a (now this sounds crazy) far away look in his eye. He has scared me many times because I thought he was dead. When he is asleep I can wave my hands around right infront of him and he doesn't budge.
Angels sometimes do rest at an angle so it could very well be that he is "resting" but it does sound like he is unwell. I would keep a close eye on him.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:45 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Puriti Send a message via MSN to Puriti Send a message via Yahoo to Puriti
My fish all rest on the bottom and they'll be dark in color and then in like 10 minutes they'll all be normal colored and then swimming around.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mine also sleep on the bottom of the tank. They all have their own spot. If I turn on the tank light, they all dart to the back of the tank behind the decor. But they seem to always be sleeping right side up (sounds weird to say that about fish). Meaning that they sleep just like they swim.

29 Gallon Lake Malawi Fry
55 Gallon Community
150 Gallon Lake Malawi Cichlid
Fishyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 11:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

My fish sleep just kinda floating in place in a favored spot. Some take a few minutes after lights on to become active.

I think your fish is sick. If you have the capabilities, put it in a QT or hospital tank. It may be less stresses, less picked on, so therfore stand a chance at recovery. But sadly, I think the odds are against a recovery.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:50 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

My friend's angelfish used to sleep out in the open when the light was off... just floating in mid tank... so it sounds to me like yours may be sick. I've seen other fish act like you describe. I lost my gold gourami after he was acting that way ... he ended up being very weak and got stuck to the filter intake.... he eventually died of Dropsy. I would definately put him in a hospital tank and medicate him.

PS. my betta sleeps underneath his tree trunk ornament, and my flame gourami and female betta sleep in mid tank. (and lol they do have a "far away" look on their faces)

Faery_SilverDragon
SilverDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2005, 11:10 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

***Update***

Check the link in the OP's original post.

Tags
sleep

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com