(How) Do fish sleep or rest ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fish do sorta sleep but what you are describing with your angel definitely sounds more like an illness. He is obviously not just resting if you can tell something isn't quite right. And while I think all my fish sleep none of them become so overcome with exhaustion that they "sink" to the bottem as you describe. As far as how different fish sleep....I think it must depend on the type of fish your talking about. I never owned angels so I have no idea if they rest on the bottem when they are healthy or not.

I can tell when my betta is "sleeping". His tank is in the bathroom and sometimes when I go in at night he is resting on his plant with a (now this sounds crazy) far away look in his eye. He has scared me many times because I thought he was dead. When he is asleep I can wave my hands around right infront of him and he doesn't budge. :roll:
Angels sometimes do rest at an angle so it could very well be that he is "resting" but it does sound like he is unwell. I would keep a close eye on him.

My fish all rest on the bottom and they'll be dark in color and then in like 10 minutes they'll all be normal colored and then swimming around.

Mine also sleep on the bottom of the tank. They all have their own spot. If I turn on the tank light, they all dart to the back of the tank behind the decor. But they seem to always be sleeping right side up (sounds weird to say that about fish). Meaning that they sleep just like they swim.

My fish sleep just kinda floating in place in a favored spot. Some take a few minutes after lights on to become active.

I think your fish is sick. If you have the capabilities, put it in a QT or hospital tank. It may be less stresses, less picked on, so therfore stand a chance at recovery. But sadly, I think the odds are against a recovery.

My friend's angelfish used to sleep out in the open when the light was off... just floating in mid tank... so it sounds to me like yours may be sick. I've seen other fish act like you describe. I lost my gold gourami after he was acting that way ... he ended up being very weak and got stuck to the filter intake.... he eventually died of Dropsy. I would definately put him in a hospital tank and medicate him.

PS. my betta sleeps underneath his tree trunk ornament, and my flame gourami and female betta sleep in mid tank. (and lol they do have a "far away" look on their faces)

Back
Top Bottom