How do I adjust the phosphate levels? I have green water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yodlem

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a huge green water algae bloom in my tank. How would i adjust the PO4 levels besides a gravel vaccuum clean?

My dad bought this Phos-X Stuff--->http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=HG11348 and a really cheap filter that uses a little air stone to suck up the water through the filter. My dad put one bag of this phos-x in there, but it doesn't really look like it's working because it's so tighly packed inside the cheap filter.

I have a regular filter, but it's too small to fit the big bags of the phos-x

What are your phosphate levels? I don't really think that they are the cause. How much light do you have? How long is it on? Have you had any recent ammonia spikes?

Getting it to go away can be tough. I would turn your lights off to start. Any direct sunlight?

It is most likely due to either over feeding, direct sunlight, or too much light. Cut back on feedings, increase your water changes (percentage and frequency), and only have the lights on for about 8 hours per day max (if non planted). It will go away if you follow the above. Once it goes away you can cut back on the water changes to once a week but you need to maintain good levels otherwise it will just come back again.

I leave the light on for ten hours. I have some plants (see myinfo)

I'm not sure of my phosphate levels, but someone said that this may be the problem

how often should i change the water? I only do it once every other week

I don't think it's in direct sunlight. Here's a picture: http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6904/img6265gh4.jpg

try cutting back on feedings, cover up any direct snlight, if that fails, buy some phosorb, its pretty good and doesn't leach phosphates back into your water

I would do a water change every other day for a few days then cut back to once a week. Reduce the feeding amount. Green water indicates high phosphates. I wouldn't add anything to the tank that is unnecessary. Just keep up with water changes and cut back on feedings and it should go away on it's own. Have you tested for phosphates?

I have a thread posted in the planted tank forum about overdosing Excel to get rid of algae after you figure out the cause for it. I can tell you, I was getting indirect sunlight where my tank is sitting and didn't even know it.

As for gw meaning ammonia in my case, I do weekly water changes, algae patrol twice a week and inspite of the gw my perims are perfect. I am keeping a very close eye on it though and you should as well.

Fishyfanatic said:
I would do a water change every other day for a few days then cut back to once a week.

How much do i change it?

and how would i measure the phosphate levels because i didn't.

Ammonia is the most likely cause. All it takes is a little blip caused by anything. Stirring up the gravel, adding fish etc. Add the excess nutrients to the light being on ten hours a day and you get green water. The three times I have had it I got because I moved some stuff around in the tank and didn't do a water change.

Nice thing about gw is that it is self correcting. It uses up whatever caused it. Right now the the readings are probably better than when the water is clear.

Water chnages and reduced lighting period should solve the problem. You may have to do a blackout to get rid of it. Though time and good husbandry will work as well.

To know what your level is you need a phosphate test kit. Call your lfs and see if they do that test for you for free.

Back
Top Bottom