How do i dechlorinate water without using dechlorinater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishies86

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I need to pwc because I've got a mysterious ammonia spike. It's about 0.5 at the moment and I need to get it down. I've just used the last of my dechlorinater and can get any more for at least a week :/ is there a way if making the water safe for fish without using it? Maybe boiling the water and leaving it to cool? Would that work?

Fishies86 said:
I need to pwc because I've got a mysterious ammonia spike. It's about 0.5 at the moment and I need to get it down. I've just used the last of my dechlorinater and can get any more for at least a week :/ is there a way if making the water safe for fish without using it? Maybe boiling the water and leaving it to cool? Would that work?

U can put an air stone in Ur bucket! That will remove Ur chlorine! Not sure how long for though.

If you only have chlorine, you can let it sit overnight with some surface agitation. 2 days would be best. If it has chloramines in it, you'll have to use some kind of de-chlorinator

I'm afraid I have an airstone or any way to agitate the water :( unles I sit and stir it all night ;) are there any other quicker ways?

+1 overnighting in a bucket with agitation works for chlorine, as it will gas off. Chloramines need a commercial product to break up however. You can check your city's water specifications to see if they add chlorine or chloramine.

--Adeeb

I've used bottled water before when the powers been out. I don't know about over there but 2.5g jugs of water are fairly cheap here.

Do an ammonia test on your tap water. If it shows ammo, you have chloramines which, as stated, will not evaporate out of water and require a water conditioner. Using it for PWC's will potentially just add more ammonia to the water during each change. If it tests 0, I agree that aerating it at least overnight with an air stone should be sufficient. Bottled water may be your best bet at this point.

When I think filtered water I think of small home units or refridgerators, when I think bottled that's a much bigger process but I could be wrong.

Depends on what type of filtration. Something like a Britta filter won't be of much help (regardless of what the box claims), however a reverse osmosis drinking water system would remove chlorine / chloramines.

As for bottled water, it can be anything from actual spring water to purified municipal water...the brands are all across the board. All of them should be fine to use in your case though.

eco23 said:
Depends on what type of filtration. Something like a Britta filter won't be of much help (regardless of what the box claims), however a reverse osmosis drinking water system would remove chlorine / chloramines.

As for bottled water, it can be anything from actual spring water to purified municipal water...the brands are all across the board. All of them should be fine to use in your case though.

Ah ok cool cheers! Though I've read ph may vary from brand to brand even bottles to bottles!

Why can't you get dechlor in less than a week?

Unless you know that your water only has chlorine and they never use chloramine I wouldn't rely on leaving it out.

boiling it might work,i read that chloramine would evaporate in a week,and chlorine evaporates in 24 hours,so boiling might speed up the process.(wait for someone else to agrree or disagree with this,its still just a theory i have)

Ah ok cool cheers! Though I've read ph may vary from brand to brand even bottles to bottles!

What is the pH of your tap water? Depending on the method of treatment the companies use, there can be different pH values (good catch...that slipped my mind).

Brands like Aquafina and Dasani are reverse osmosis purified, while others like Deer Park are filtered natural spring water. RO water will tend to have a lower pH because of how stripped they are.

boiling it might work,i read that chloramine would evaporate in a week,and chlorine evaporates in 24 hours,so boiling might speed up the process.(wait for someone else to agrree or disagree with this,its still just a theory i have)

Chloramines are simply a chlorine / ammonia mixture. I'm not familiar if ammonia can be boiled out of water (I wouldn't think it would to a great degree)...but the ammonia content is the actual problem when using it for pwc's.

Chloramines are simply a chlorine / ammonia mixture. I'm not familiar if ammonia can be boiled out of water (I wouldn't think it would to a great degree)...but the ammonia content is the actual problem when using it for pwc's.
ok,no boiling water.

eco23 said:
What is the pH of your tap water? Depending on the method of treatment the companies use, there can be different pH values (good catch...that slipped my mind).

Brands like Aquafina and Dasani are reverse osmosis purified, while others like Deer Park are filtered natural spring water. RO water will tend to have a lower pH because of how stripped they are.

O my tap is 7.6. Thanks for the info eco

Back
Top Bottom