How do I get rid of snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Buy some ram cichlids they don't eat they shell but they help. Or collect the snails and sell them on Aquabid as fish food and get money.

Ive done both :)

Are you completely sure they are a problem?

I keep Malaysian Trumpet snails on purpose, to keep my sand substrate "tilled", so no areas get anaerobic. They are an amazing clean up crew. I haven't done a gravel vac in over a month and the white sand is pristine.

They do not, as said before, eat healthy plants. They eat decaying plant matter. Another reason to keep them IMO. And there's a general belief that they multiply only to the extent the food can support them.

I also thought I had to get rid of snails when I saw the little holes in leafs and just because I didn't invite the snails there ... But the holes seem to be a nutrient issue and over time I've come to welcome them as part of the ecosystem.

Are you completely sure they are a problem?

I keep Malaysian Trumpet snails on purpose, to keep my sand substrate "tilled", so no areas get anaerobic. They are an amazing clean up crew. I haven't done a gravel vac in over a month and the white sand is pristine.

They do not, as said before, eat healthy plants. They eat decaying plant matter. Another reason to keep them IMO. And there's a general belief that they multiply only to the extent the food can support them.

I also thought I had to get rid of snails when I saw the little holes in leafs and just because I didn't invite the snails there ... But the holes seem to be a nutrient issue and over time I've come to welcome them as part of the ecosystem.

I agree with you, I keep mts in my tank and they never seem to cause a problem. But they are being kept in line by my peacock.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom