How do I get rid of Snails !!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bowjo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Snails have about ate all my plants.I got a clown Loach to eat them.I think he eats everything but the snails!

heh ... clown loaches may be getting food from other places. Also check into getting Kuhli Loaches. They are snake looking and get about 3" long. They are very good at eating snails.

Another solution is to leave a piece of lettuce in the tank overnight. In the morning, the snails will be all over the lettuce, and all you have to do is throw away the lettuce. Repeat as necessary.

Will the lttuce idea work even when there is live plants?The clown loach gets more than his share of food when I feed the other fish.

Will the lettuce idea work even when there is live plants?The clown loach gets more than his share of food when I feed the other fish.

possibly ... but they may stay away from the lettuce if they are enjoying their plant vegitation

I'm in the same situation - just picked up a clown loach. Unfortunately, *all* loaches are out of stock in my area. I heard that they're kinda tough to get around this time of year and that with the Tsunami, the supplies are down, too.

Perhaps you can monitor your feeding better. The clown probably isn't up at the top feeding, so you just need to make sure not much gets down to him :)

I have live plants too and the lettuce didn't go over well. They like the plants better.

i dont have the heart to kill the snails i just shove them all in with my betta he is getting a little crowded i have to admit!

The clown loach is the first to feed on top or bottom!He is a pig,eats everything but snails.I got a weather loach this time.The Fish place said they were better for snail control.

My clowns are just starting to get to size, when I got them they were 3/4" long, but now 3 are over 1.5" and they are tossing rocks and digging. And yes, they love flake food and shrimp pellets, but I couldn't put enough food in there to stop them from eating other stuff or digging.. (which is funny BTW :D)

Perhaps the loach you got wasn't really big enough?, I used to have a couple snails pop up now and then, now I get a couple shells that pop up..

If you break the snail on the glass, the fish will eat it, so you arent killing them, your pushing the food chain..

As far as I know Dojos (weather loaches) won't eat snails. I have a spotted dojo in with at least 40 trapdoor snails and lots of MTS. I've never seen him eat any snails and from the snail population, looks like he hasn't touched any. I've never even heard of anyone saying or recommending dojos as snail eaters.

Back
Top Bottom