How do I get rid of snails in a tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yodlem

Aquarium Advice Regular
About a week ago snails started appearing in my tank. I don't think I put any snails in there, but they just appeared out of no where. I'm guessing it was from one of the plants that i brought home from the pet store.

Anyway I want to know if they are harmful enough to ruin my plants, and if they are, how can I get rid of them?

Yeah most snails will snack on the plants. You could try to get some sort of snail eating fish or there are a few tanks medications to kill the snails. I know any copper type will most likely kill snails.

I don't think copper is the best remedy. Copper is also toxic to inverts like ghost shrimp if you have any. The copper also can linger in the substrate for a long time and may, over time, harm the nervous system of the fish. I know "over time" is vague, but I wouldn't want to expose my fish to a chemical when I didn't have to.

If you have room in your tank, you could get a fish that would eat the snails. Only consider this option if you have room for the adult fish and want a fish like this in your tank. He will still be in your tank after the snails are gone, so make sure this is a good option for you.

An easy way to control the snails is by weighing down a piece of lettuce and putting it on the bottom of the tank at night. In the morning, snails will be clinging to the lettuce and you can just lift it out to remove the snails. This may not get rid of them completely, but it can control them if you do it often.

What kind of snails are they, do you know? Pond snails are "pests" in an aquarium. They are very small and look like little footballs. Malaysian trumpet snails have a spiral shape and while they can get out of hand in a small tank, they are usually considered beneficial to a planted tank.

I have to agree with An t-iasg. Copper is harmful in a lot of instances and very extreme. For larger tanks, clown loaches are great, yoyo loaches also good.

I use the lettuce trick or put an algae wafer in a small glass container overnight and scoop the snails out in the morning.

I got the same problem Yodlem from adding plants too. From what research Ive done and the resposnes here I,ll be trying the yo yo loach in a group of 5 for to suit my 4 foot tank. I,d give the copper treatment a miss as well for reasons listed above. I tried the letuce trick and it works well. Having some snails can be benifitial to some degree so I would not worry about having a few here and there. If you have got the space I,d recomend using snail eating fish

It really depends on the size of the tank. If it's a larger tank the clown louch is great at snails. If it's asmaller tank { 10g to 30g } you can use a dojo louch or a couple of dwarf puffers. As far as adding the copper stuff to remove snails it doesn't get them all ever and and it's not go for live plants.

I have a trio of striata botias that do the job of keeping snail populations in check. They make short work of the snails you described. Only downside of the striata is that several are needed to limit aggression and fin nipping of other tankmates. I have observed minimal aggression in the past year of having mine (a few nips in fins on occasions).

Minimize any excess feedings, the lettuce method, and a good pencil to squish the little buggers can also help reduce populations to healthy tank levels.

i have a clown loach in my 55 gal. They do a great job keeping the snails in check, but they can get to be very big, so if you decide to go that route, make sure you have the space for it. I have heard of them getting up to 12" in captivity.

Clown loaches are also schooling fish that prefer to be in groups. Once I get to a point where i can add fish to my tank again, I plan on buying a few more clowns. They are great fish, very fun to watch, I would recommend them to anyone that has to space to properly care for them.

I have the same problem with snails, but what I do is that after a while I manually take out the snails, or I smash the snails and let them fall into the tank so my fish can eat snails.. they seem to like snails. specially my goldies :)

Back
Top Bottom