Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2019, 04:35 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

How do I keep my water temperature low?

I'm aware of how heaters regulate the temperature of an aquarium. But what if I need to cool my tank? My tank currently sits at 75 degrees and I believe they need cooler temperatures. I have 4 goldfish in a 30 gallon tank. How do I keep my water cooler than the room temperature?

Old 04-13-2019, 07:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Lower cost option is to run a fan across the surface. It will increase evaporation.
There are chillers you can use. These are effective but can be expensive.
BTW 75 F should be fine for the four goldfish. Iíd worry more about eventual crowding as they mature (and get large).
Old 04-13-2019, 08:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank Water Temperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Money View Post
I'm aware of how heaters regulate the temperature of an aquarium. But what if I need to cool my tank? My tank currently sits at 75 degrees and I believe they need cooler temperatures. I have 4 goldfish in a 30 gallon tank. How do I keep my water cooler than the room temperature?
Hello T...

You're right about the temperature for your Goldfish. 74 degrees is really too warm. Goldfish are cool water fish and 70 degrees is the warmest for them. 65 to 68 degrees is optimum. You can lower the thermostat in your house to 68 and if you have a heater in this tank, remove it. In warmer weather, you can set up a floor fan and point it in the direction of the tank. Large, weekly water changes will keep the oxygen level in the water steady. As we know, warmer water doesn't hold oxygen as well as cooler water.

B
Old 04-13-2019, 08:47 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hello, I started a 55gal goldie tank & been researching on how to keep it cool in summer. Came across a diy that uses a mini dorm fridge & canister filter. Priced fridge at 80$ & penn plax cascade 1000 canister for. 129-79$(these are new I'm sure you can find cheap used online).
I also read that people use frozen water bottles set next to filter(a little worried about temp swings). Hope this helps!
Old 04-13-2019, 06:12 PM   #5
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Iíve seen somebody set one of those up here and worked alright. Could control water flow from memory, Iím not sure what was used.
Old 04-13-2019, 06:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I like the mini fridge and canister idea. You could probably swap out the canister filter with a water pump or power head. You would have to fashion some type of radiator in the fridge for heat transfer.
Old 04-13-2019, 09:14 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

I made a custom hood... It's overboard, but works. A temperature switch turns (2) high
power CPU fans on at 78*F, they have acrylic diverters that push the air across the top of the
tank. This creates evaporative cooling. The fans shut off at 75*F. This allows
me to keep the tank covered to avoid fish jumping ship.

The tank looks like your typical hooded tank:

But when you get up close, you see the fans, and vented light hoods:

Old 04-13-2019, 09:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcfly View Post
I made a custom hood... It's overboard, but works. A temperature switch turns (2) high
power CPU fans on at 78*F, they have acrylic diverters that push the air across the top of the
tank. This creates evaporative cooling. The fans shut off at 75*F. This allows
me to keep the tank covered to avoid fish jumping ship.

The tank looks like your typical hooded tank:

But when you get up close, you see the fans, and vented light hoods:

Wow. That's pretty cool
Old 04-14-2019, 10:27 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

It works surprisingly well, though it does evaporate a fair amount of water in the summer.
Located in Florida, so keeping things cool can be challenging.

Tags
ate, temperature, water, water temp, water temperature

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com