How do I know if I have a pair? (Rams)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hennaartist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have the HARDEST time telling between male and female GBR's, and my lfs doesn't really know either. Other than spawning, how do I know I have a pair? I was told to get a few and watch for a pair, then bring back any that don't.
So, couple weeks ago I got 3 German blue rams (1.25 inches) from the lfs (all they had), and I'd been watching them. Then started to realize they were all more than likely female, so I was told to get a couple more (preferably male of course).
The lfs got their new stock today and I did my best to try and get what I think are 3 males (2.5 inches).

However, I now fully realize I have no clue what I'm doing (other than spending A LOT of money). I'm getting sorta stressed and frustrated, and I have read so much conflicting information I don't know what to think any more.
So, bottom line, I have 6 German blue rams in my 55 gallon at the moment.(The lfs is willing to take four of them back when the time comes.) I've got two that seem to like hanging out together, BUT, other than actually spawning, how do I know when I have a pair?

And in case it matters or anyone finds it relevant. My water parameters are
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 10
Nitrate 0
Gh 75
Kh 30
Ph 6.8
Temp 79f
I'm not trying to breed, I just want harmony.

If this was the stupidest thing you've heard of for pairing rams, feel free to let me know. I'm confident in my other fish keeping lol. At this point Id just like some input.

It's what you have to do sometimes. You don't just buy two rams and expect them to form a pair. I bought 12 from a breeder and still have 4 that haven't paired off. Give them time, be patient. They need to get used to the tank first.

It's what you have to do sometimes. You don't just buy two rams and expect them to form a pair. I bought 12 from a breeder and still have 4 that haven't paired off. Give them time, be patient. They need to get used to the tank first.

Thank you, at least I know that I haven't truly screwed up... Yet.
This is my first time keeping GBRs.

Rams are very sensitive fish. It took years, literally, for me to finally keep them alive more than two weeks. Now I've had many spawns from my pairs and everyone is happy. Be patient and enjoy them. You'll love the little guys, they have such personality. :)

Rams are very sensitive fish. It took years, literally, for me to finally keep them alive more than two weeks. Now I've had many spawns from my pairs and everyone is happy. Be patient and enjoy them. You'll love the little guys, they have such personality. :)

I've heard that, and so far I've seen a little of their personality. (Coming to greet me when I approach the tank and so forth.) So I really want this to work out. I think my water parameters are good, because I've heard they like a lower ph. Im normally used to trying to up my ph in other and previous tanks. I'm testing daily. What do you think?

Let me know how you figured out which is male/female. I am getting two on Monday. I do know that Rams need impeccable water quality though.

The only definite I have found (and isn't always present) is females will have a pink belly (but only when attracting a male).
In general... the first 3 spikes on the males dorsal fin (top fin) are substantially longer than the rest of the dorsal fin, and the pelvic fin (bottom front fins) are usually long enough that when put back, they almost touch the tail fin (reaching past the anal fin).
Good luck.

I am thinking about taking one male and one female out of this tank and putting them in my 20 gallon long. Just to lower the stress in my tank right now and still give them a chance to pair, but idk.

Females will have a red tummy and will sometimes have the blue specks in the black dot. I keep one by herself and her tummy is always pinky-red.

If the rams are still pretty young, don't give up as they have to be about 3 months old plus to start showing the pinkish belly of the female. Also you are in for a treat when you see how much they color up as they get mature. OS.

The 3 females stated showing the pink belly within 24 hours of me putting the males in the tank. I am worried because I have 6 rams in the tank at the moment (3 female and 3 males) that it is stressing them out.

Even with a 55g you may have a free for all with three pair especially if all three pair want to pair up and spawn. If you have plenty of plants, two pair could work. Make sure their spawning spots are far apart and out of sight of each other. Good luck, OS.

I really only want one pair. If I end up with two pair that would be great but I have someone who wants the remaining ones.

Back
Top Bottom