How do I know if my tank is cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sydsmom367

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Day 49, 10 gal. 2 guppies. I've been trying to keep the Am around .25 and do a WC when it hits .50, I stared to notice trace amounts of NO2 around day 30. Then on Day 42 the NO2 jumped somewhere between .25-.50. I did about 75% WC and since then, all tests read 0 (am,no2,no3). Is my tank cycled?

Your tank is cycled when you are showing zero ammonia or nitrites, but a steady increase in nitrates over the course of several days (say 4-7 days). That nitrate test can be tricky though. If you don't shake the bottles enough before, and the test tube enough during, then you might not get an accurate reading.
Doing a Fish-In cycle with two guppies might take a while.

So I guessing im almost there. Just need to monitor the no3. So when can I add some ghost shrimp?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your Tank

Day 49, 10 gal. 2 guppies. I've been trying to keep the Am around .25 and do a WC when it hits .50, I stared to notice trace amounts of NO2 around day 30. Then on Day 42 the NO2 jumped somewhere between .25-.50. I did about 75% WC and since then, all tests read 0 (am,no2,no3). Is my tank cycled?

Hello mom...

Such a small tank presents a challenge to even an experienced tank keeper. It would have been better to start with a larger tank, like say 30 gallons. Large tanks are much easier to maintain.

Anyway, cycling a tank with fish requires 3 to 4 medium sized fish for every 10 gallons of water. You put the fish in and test the water every day for traces of ammonia or nitrite. If your test shows a trace of either, you remove and replace 25 percent of the water with pure, treated tap water. Just test every day and remove the right amount of water if needed. When several tests show no trace of the above forms of nitrogen, the tank is cycled. The process takes roughly 30 days.

B

I think your tank is just about cycled. I don't know to much about shrimp so I don't want to advise you on when to add those, but in my opinion I'm thinkin your fine!

Ill be honest, I only cycle my customers tanks to do it the "proper way" for them.... My personal tanks I let run for 1 week and add fish. I've only had fish die of old age, an a couple died in my aggressive tanks. None have died from sickness or water conditions to my knowledge. Like I said I only do that on my personal tanks though

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would wait to add the ghost shrimp until you are cycled because they might die. Mine died when I had a leak in my tank that resulted in losing a lot of my bacteria and had to fish in cycle. Or you can try one first now and see how it does.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom