How do I know the cycle is happening in new 46 gal tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cliffy1203

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone,

I'm new to aquariums. I just set up a 46 gallon tank with tropical community fish and I asked the LFS for a first set of fish to cycle my tank.
I have 5 sunburst platies, 3 sailfin mollies, and 2 dalmatian mollies, and I love to watch them swim around.

Anyway, my question concerns the first "cycle". I have a small ammonia meter in the tank and it never has really changed color, only the end of the strip turned a little green twice but then went back to yellow. Is this the "ammonia spike" I should be looking for? It doesn't seem like very much.

I am running both an AquaClear 70 hang-on-back filter as well as an Eheim Ecco Pro+ canister filter. Could my two filters affect the development of the first cycle? Or do I not have enough fish to see a true ammonia spike? I am also adding a product called "stability" that the LFS recommended.

How do I know when I can add more fish?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give! :fish2:

cliffy1203

That stability stuff might be why your not really seeing it. I've used this stuff called startzyme that had a, bunch of the good bacteria in it and I never got much of a spike.

You may be right, Stability is supposed to add good bacteria, so perhaps it will keep my ammonia level from spiking. So, despite never having much of a spike, your tank is fully cycled and the filters are populated with good bacteria? Without the noticeable ammonia spike, when did you feel comfortable adding more fish to the tank?

Stability contains the wrong bacteria. The bacteria that colonizes your filter are a different kind. If it where me id stop using it all together.
I disagree. I think that while it will not cycle you tank it can help make the cylcle safe. And maybe speed it up alittle.

GodFan said:
I disagree. I think that while it will not cycle you tank it can help make the cylcle safe. And maybe speed it up alittle.

Show me some proof and I'll agree. There are products out there that are proven to contain viable bacteria of the right kind but stability isn't one of them.

I'm gona have to disagree too. I haven't used that one but the stuff I used worked great.
As far as stocking goes, I just tossed a few of the cheaper fish I wanted in and if they lived cool and if they didn't ohh well. And I wated another week or so. It got expensive when I went to salt water and kinda jumped the gun with a frog spawn coral. I took it as a 25-30 dollar lesson not to rush some things and due a water test. Most lfs will test it for you if you ask.

Some fish can live through a cycle (without daily water changes) even without the bacteria starters but IMO it shouldn't be done. Just because they are cheap doesn't mean it's ok for them to suffer with high spikes in toxins. Don't get me wrong. I do fish in cycles with all my tanks. All done safely and successfully without bio boosters/start zymes and with daily water changes.
I am just stating facts about stability. I know there are products that do work but stability isn't one of them.

I agree with Mumma, I've actually tested several of them myself so it's not just repetition either.

I wouldn't trust any cycling product to keep the fish safe no matter how effective it is, none of them are 100%. I've even used/tested a straight up liquid bacteria culture from the fish farm suppliers and it worked great but still had a lag time long enough to wipe out an entire tank.

Back
Top Bottom