How do I properly clean/ maintain AquaClear filter ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PebbleVB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, everyone-

This is my new hobby so I have very limited basic knowledge. All your suggestions and recommendations are truly welcome!

I have a 10-gallon tank with one half moon betta fish in it. I spent MONTHS trying to do a fish-less cycle and after MONTHS of "struggling" with it, the day has finally arrived where I can safely add my betta fish to the tank.

The tank doesn't have any live plants. It has gravel, several plastic/ silk plants and a couples decor for the betta to hide and swim around.

I'm currently using the AquaClear 20 filter. Please keep in mind this filter has been with this tank since last October. I've never rinsed/ washed it during the period where I was trying to cycle the tank, using the fish-less cycle. This filter includes the foam insert, activated carbon insert, and the biomax. I also added a sponge from an existing aquarium to the filter and this was the one single piece of "magic" that helped complete my cycle.

The "hardest" part is over for me, in term of trying to cycle the fish tank. Now, I do really need to know how to properly maintain/ take care/ and clean the filter, as well as the fish tank.

My questions then:

1. Should I replace any part of the filter? Meaning, do I need to replace the biomax, the sponge or the activated carbon insert? My assumption is that I need to keep the sponge, and Never, Ever to replace it? I don't know really. Please clearly advise!

2. If I should Not replace the filter. Please advise on how I should maintain and take care of the filter?

3. If I perform partial water change, should I only do 25%? And if so, how often should I perform the partial water change? Would it be once a week or can it be once every 2 weeks?

Thank you all for your help and suggestion! It's much appreciated! If I have missed any info, please let me know!

http://aqadvisor.com/
Punch your tank details in here and it should solve a lot of your questions :)

I'd remove the active carbon it really isn't necessary unless removing medication or chemicals from the water.

When I do a water change I always take everything out of the filter and rinse it in the bucket of water I've just removed from the tank. Using my brothers toothbrush ;) I give it a scrub to remove any bits in pipes and so forth. I Also give the sponges a good rinse in the bucket to remove what I can from them and make them last longer. :)

Hope I helped.

As said in the previous post.

Rinse media in tank water during PWC.

Ditch carbon and add a 2nd biomax insert.

You can get a cheap pipe brush from a dollar store to maintain tubes. Also if you want you can add a piece of panty hose over the intake. I do this on my AC50 and my canister to prevent large debris, snails, and shrimp from being sucked up. Works like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I clean my filter only every 1-2 months. I'm a busy man. Unless for some reason I notice a lack of output flow then Ieave my filters alone. As said clean all your filter parts and pads in tank water/dechlorinated water ONLY. This preserves your BB and your cycle. I use a toothbrush and one of those long noodle brushes to get inside the tubes.

Caleb

Thank you ALL so very much!
I personally visited 3 local fish stores and they all acted like I'm a retard for asking how to maintain the filter. Thanks again for your time to help me out!

To Darkseid - So I don't need to add a New activated carbon to the filter after removing the current one I have now? Thanks again for your help!

As said in the previous post.

Rinse media in tank water during PWC.

Ditch carbon and add a 2nd biomax insert.

You can get a cheap pipe brush from a dollar store to maintain tubes. Also if you want you can add a piece of panty hose over the intake. I do this on my AC50 and my canister to prevent large debris, snails, and shrimp from being sucked up. Works like a charm.

Sorry, don't know how to respond properly -

I don't need to add the New activated carbon after removing the one I'm currently using?

Nope you don't need the carbon at all. You can replace the carbon with a 2nd sponge or biomax insert.

Back
Top Bottom