How do I sex Gourami's BABY!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesMJ2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I want to get a trio of Gourami's for breeding, either Neon Blues, Red , or Gold Gourami. Problem is I can't find anh info on how to tell the two sexes apart. Anyone know how, I would greatly appreciate that info.

I also am having a hard time sexing gouramis. I did some research and came up with 2 things (this is for dwarf gouramis; I'm not sure if it applies to all gouramis):

Color: Females tend to be greyish/blueish and duller. males are much more colorful.
Fins: Male fins, especially the dorsal, tend to be pointed; females are blunt.

That being said, I've read that with all the inbreeding for color, colorful females and females with pointier fins are being produced. Also, many lfs only carry males as they are obviously more colorful.

Good luck LOL if you find a female let me know so I can be all jealous.

In general, for the gourami species, I have found that females have less color than males, and the color they do have tends to be dull. Also, dorsal fins are a biggie in determining sex. Males dorsal fins are longer and pointer, while females are shorter and rounder. In addition, which can be hard to tell when looking at 20 gouramis smooshed into a tank at the lfs, but the males tend to be more aggressive. Females do chase other gouramis, but not as aggressively as males do.

James, when I get a place of my own, I wanted to try breeding gouramis too! Let me know how it goes! Trials and tribulations!

Allivymar
I can make you jealous, i have 10 females in my store LOL. When it comes to sexing Dwalf Gourami's you research is right, the females are not so brightly coloured and are a little plumper in the body region and the finnage is rounder.

I wonder, I have two Gold Gourami's right now, and they tend to chase each other around. But given the description you gave I am wondering if I don't already have two females, instead of two males. I'll try and get some pics.

Back
Top Bottom