how do u feed nocturnal fish ?? how do u know they're eating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
I read you drop the food in the tank when you turn off the lights...

but how much food do u drop in ???

I only have 1 nocturnal fish (1 ghost knife) - If I drop a pinch of sinking food....
how do I know that he will eat it all...and it won't rot in the tank during the night.

I'm no expert, but a long while back, when I introduced a Royal Pl3co in my tank, I dropped 1 tablet of Hikari Algae Wafers 1 hour before lights out. I dropped it pretty close by so that he doesn't have to sniff around too far to get it. I've never seen him eat it, but everyday the next day, the wafer is gone. After 2 weeks, I never worried anymore because he was still alive and the wafer always disappears. That's a good enough indication for me. Today, I do the same thing to my Bristlenose. Fortunately, unlike the Royal, after a couple of weeks, my Bristlenose doesn't bother to wait for lights out anymore, he just waits for the wafer to sink and starts looking for it. Granted, on both occasions, my Pl3cos were the only bottom dwellers so competition for sinking food wasn't a problem for me.

:)

I use a UGF riser tube and drop a wafer where I now my nocturnal fish will hang out. That way, my fish can reach it and eat without having to compete with the other tank mates.

Back
Top Bottom