How do we feel about vacation feeders?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

veggievettech

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm going to Las Vegas for a week next month and I've started to have some axiety about how my fish are going to be fed. Everyone who would be willing to come to my house and check on them is going on vacation with me!
I've seen those dissolving food blocks sold at pet stores. Are they to be trusted? I can't help but be worried that they aren't the greatest idea.
Has anyone used them successfully? Any suggestions?

You are fine for a week without feeding. Do not use the vacation feeders. They make a mess of the tank and have no benefit.

I agree don't use the weekend feeders and don't overfeed right before leaving. Most of those blocks can cause constipation because the fish can't digest them completely. I do a water change and put my lights on a timer and that is it.

I went on spring break about a month ago for a week and nearly all my fish survived the experience. I only lost my killifish because he felt a need to jump out of the half inch gap where my filter is in my hood and one of my cory catfish's that mysteriously disappeared. Other than that all fish accounted for!

If you know someone you can trust you could always have them feed them for you. Just have them come over and watch how you feed the fish.

If you know someone you can trust you could always have them feed them for you. Just have them come over and watch how you feed the fish.
if you do that you should have a bag of food for each day for each tank and hide the rest. fish are fine with out food for a week. heck i had a tank that for some reason thought there wasnt fish in there and wasnt fed for 11-12 days with out a single loss. just do a water change before hand and make sure everything is working.

Back
Top Bottom