How do you bring total alkalinity down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woodsplace1

Aquarium Advice Freak
My total alkalinity has gone from between 120-180 to 300 since last weeks water check...all other numbers are WNL, Nitrate 40 (this is up from about 20), nitrate 0, hardness 150, pH between 7.8-8.4 (8.0) I have been doing at least 50% water changes weekly. We did lose a fish last week from a possible parasite? Any ideas would be fantastic...

thanks for the help in advance! :wink:
Ginger

I would wait until your test kit comes in before trying to change anything. Have you added anything to the tank recently? Crushed coral? Limestone? seashells?

only the "cave" on the right and cover for our molly fry that is coming soon. Both were rinsed very good prior to adding (about 2 weeks) We did start feeding frozen blood worms a few weeks ago as well...I am planning on adding some driftwood for my pleco as well? thanks for all the help...

Attachments

• fishiefunwithboys_043_130.jpg
    fishiefunwithboys_043_130.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 125
  • fishiefunwithboys_042_195.jpg
    fishiefunwithboys_042_195.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 171
Cute tank. I would advise against making any tank changes based upon test strips. Your liquid reagent test kit might give much different readings. There is nothing wrong with those harndness and alkalinity levels, and you will be virtually garuanteed a stable pH. Most of your local fish supply is likely adapted to the local water conditions too.

But if you want to soften the water up, I have heard that peat moss in a filter compartment is a slow, stable way to reduce the pH, as is driftwood and live plants, and CO2 injection.

I would suggest testing your tap water once you get your kit in.. It can go though seasonal changes in chemistery, so keeping an eye on it can help big changes in tank chemistry.
you can compensate to aclimate to big changes.

Back
Top Bottom