Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

How do you choose your fish?

I was wondering about how people choose a specific fish out of the tons of choices at most lfs. Most people are attracted to a certain species, but which fish to choose from the tank? Is it personality, cuteness, physical fitness?

What traits do you look for in your new addition?

Personally, I look for something silly that relates to my life.
My panda moor had 3 dots on her head that match the spots on my dog and one of my tattoos, all coincidentally. I think we're all soul mates.
I chose my oranda because I thought he looked spot on like my baby nephew.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3920003007.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	40273   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3991960128.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	40274  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3908872624.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	40275  

Old 06-14-2011, 01:24 AM   #2

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

99% of my fish are ordered online from breeders and dealers so for me it's like almost Christmas when the box comes. And since I always open them in a dark room and acclimate in a dark tank, Christmas comes two days after that, when I can actually see the fish.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:25 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via ICQ to nibynool Send a message via MSN to nibynool
For me it depends on the type of fish and quantity I'm getting. For example I'm about to get a heap of Neon Tetras, I'll just place an order with the LFS and take what they give me. If I'm only getting one or two of a fish I'll be influenced by color, livliness, size and just general gut instinct.
Old 06-14-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I decide what I want and then look for a good source, Most are bought online.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

strong colours and complete fins is what i look for. my lfs is only 15 mins walk away and has a good enought selection of fish. didn't try ordering online yet.
tropical-fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I try to match temperment when I make my choices, then I try to look for something a little different whether it be coloring, activity level, or just something that catches my eye. For example, my latest tank is populated by semi-aggressives. I have the standard gold and opaline blue gouramis but also 2 dwarf gouramis, one neon blue and one flame that has a beautiful blue back fin. I also added a spotted leaf fish just because of the way it hangs around structures in addition to the neat color. Then I added a catfish dont remember the name) that has black stripes. I was amazed when I let it into the tank and it settled on a leaf from my red water lily and the silver parts turned a shade of pink.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:54 PM   #7

I look for the little guys. That way I have more of an influence on their behavior as they grow up, and as long as they're not getting bullied, rescue them from possibly growing up in an uncycled tank. Lol.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sssea View Post
I was wondering about how people choose a specific fish out of the tons of choices at most lfs. Most people are attracted to a certain species, but which fish to choose from the tank? Is it personality, cuteness, physical fitness?

What traits do you look for in your new addition?

Personally, I look for something silly that relates to my life.
My panda moor had 3 dots on her head that match the spots on my dog and one of my tattoos, all coincidentally. I think we're all soul mates.
I chose my oranda because I thought he looked spot on like my baby nephew.
LOL. That is so adorable! That oranda looks just like your nephew lol!
Old 06-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I really haven't been able to choose fish, there just usually rescues, because people didn't want a there fish anymore.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homedog98 View Post
I look for the little guys. That way I have more of an influence on their behavior as they grow up, and as long as they're not getting bullied, rescue them from possibly growing up in an uncycled tank. Lol.
Good point! I prefer the smaller ones as well and ask to get them when I buy from the LFS (they always try to give me the big ones until I specify I want smaller fish) but thats because the smaller ones are usually a bit younger and I dont have to replace them as often. (Yes, I'm cheap that way)
Old 06-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hukit, I love Christmas, so I can totally see how exciting that is. I feel like a kid in a toy store every time I go to goldfish world.

Homedog, I like the little guys too! Why buy a large fish when you can watch a little one grow up!

Rosenweiss, Augustus (oranda) was the only fish in the entire store that had big squishy cheeks and I instantly fell in love with him. No one in my family believed that he looks like Mav (baby) until I showed them those two pictures, they almost died laughing!!!
Old 06-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sssea, no way, that's hilarious! xD That goldie is so cute, too. I like your fish's name! I have a fish named St. Augustine.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:05 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosenweiss
Sssea, no way, that's hilarious! xD That goldie is so cute, too. I like your fish's name! I have a fish named St. Augustine.
Thanks! He's named after Augustus Gloop , the original Will Wonka was my favorite movie as a child. My fish would definitely eat his way through a chocolate river, he tried to eat my finger this morning!
I always try to give them silly names, usually after authors, poets or astronomers. Although we recently found out that my moor, Mr. Boots, is actually a Miss!
Old 06-14-2011, 04:24 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha! I love it when fish nibble! And yeah, my boyfriend and I found out that his pleco is a girl, too, but we stuck with the name "Kaito" meaning "Ocean Dipper" in Japanese.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com