how do you clean sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fill a bucket halfway with the sand and let a hose run in the bucket untill it's full. Particles will come floating up. Get rid of the water. Repeat process untill there are no more particles coming to the surface!

Do what Billsgate metioned. What I did was did it in 5 gal buckets outside and used my hand to churn up the sand and than dump the dust particles out. Slate if fine to use in your tank, and you attatch plants such as java moss to it too.

I clean it like Billsgate describes, and then I scoop it into the tank with a plastic cup. Avoid doing this inside because sand or gravel in down the drain is a very bad thing. This is also something to keep in mind when doing water changes, especially if you use a Python.

It was a suggestion that has a very sound theory, put about 25lbs sand in a pillowcase, then put a hose in and shake or slosh, when the water runs clear out of the case put it in the tank, then proceed to the next batch. Should work just like a giant filter. pillow cases are woven material, holding it up to the light will let you see the holes (if you have really good eyes.)

I'll be trying it in a month or so when I start setting up a 150Gal. but from what I've heard it works very well.

ok i tried the pillowcase method and stirring it in a bucket and now its in my tank and it looks...well....pretty good if i do say so myself. so how would i go about cleaning it in the future?

You mean while it is in your tank?

What I do is give it a stir to lift up particles so my syphon can catch them, or carefully wave the syphon hose over the surface so the debris is suctioned up. If you are using a Python you really want to avoid sand going down your sink or tub drain.

Back
Top Bottom