How do you combat HOT days?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so today was the first real hot day here in New York. 82 degrees and I noticed my African tank went from 77.5 to 78.2 and now since the sun went down its slowly going back down. The thermo is set for 77 so I was wondering of the digital was picking up ambient room temp or actual tank temp?

Also any of you lower your heater during the hot summer days? So maybe drop it to 75-76? Or just leave it? I know the heater shuts of at the temp set for but was just curious what the members did if anything.

In my saltwater and freshwater tanks I have no heater. The house stays around 72 degrees and the pumps do the rest of the heating.

crister13 said:
In my saltwater and freshwater tanks I have no heater. The house stays around 72 degrees and the pumps do the rest of the heating.

Interesting. Right now my ambient room temp is 74. And my 75g African tank is reading 78.2 doesn't make much sense. The daylights only go on at 4 and off at 9, I have them timed to turn on right before I get home.

I don't use heaters my whole room stays at around 75-78 F. But its starting to get hotter in there as I add more tanks :)

I'm curious about this as well as this will be my first summer with a fish tank and I'm in New Jersey. Today I left my glass top open.

Fortunately... Or unfortunately.. I'm fighting ich so my tank is up to 86/87 right now haha. But summer should be quite interesting in my apartment!

Lol on cooler days I also open my window so the wind comes through. Sometimes my fish look out the window like "OMG" looking at the birds like there crazy

Ya the ax does the cooling for my tank. In my 150 saltwater reef the pumps skimmer and lights heat the tank about six degrees.

You should buy a discus and they wont mind the hot temp! lol

I agree with jeta. A few degrees is going to do nothing. I had tanks reach 80-82F/27-28C nearly every day this summer then drop back to 77-78F/25-26C overnight. I wouldn't turn the heaters off. What happens if there is a sudden cold snap and you've forgotten the heaters off? Id be more worried about the tank getting too cold.

calfishguy said:
This may be a useless question but why does your house temp fluctuate so much do you not have a/c.

I have AC of course. The problem is I don't like AC and the wife does. She likes it cold and well... I don't mind the heat. Windows open and ceiling fan on and I'm good. The building itself it prefab concrete so it holds heat from the daytime and takes a long time to cool down.

Was just a basic question. Was wondering what people did.

I'm not going to turn them off but I will monitor the temps in my FW and SW tanks as this is my first summer with tanks.

Back
Top Bottom