How do you determine amt to feed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi Everyone,

I recently started a different thread on fish dying and Hukitt (hope that user name is right) mentioned quality of food and amount of feeding. I have a 36 gal community tank with all small fish(I probably have about 34 fish in there). The only large ones I have is 1 gourami, 1 larger molly and an albino pleco. I usually feed two small pinches of flakes slightly ground up. It's gone within 30-45 seconds. My tank is also planted and between two little coreys and the place, I'm not concerned about debris. My nitrates are low.

How to you determine how much to feed?

Thanks-D

Watch your fish as they feed. As soon as you put in the amount you choose to feed, look at how much it is total floating around. Then watch your fish as they go into their feeding frenzy. Usually after about 2 min. you will see them start to slow down their gorging. Then look and see how much food is left floating and estimate how much less that would be. It takes a few times to get it but you'll get close enough. You want ALL the food gone by about 3 to 4 min. Flake food floating around always looks much less when looking at it from above. Judge the amount better by looking at it floating from underneath. You'll see it's alot more. Good luck, OS.

Watch your fish as they feed. As soon as you put in the amount you choose to feed, look at how much it is total floating around. Then watch your fish as they go into their feeding frenzy. Usually after about 2 min. you will see them start to slow down their gorging. Then look and see how much food is left floating and estimate how much less that would be. It takes a few times to get it but you'll get close enough. You want ALL the food gone by about 3 to 4 min. Flake food floating around always looks much less when looking at it from above. Judge the amount better by looking at it floating from underneath. You'll see it's alot more. Good luck, OS.

Thanks, based on what you've said, I think I'm doing about right. I'd rather underfeed just a little than over feed and bring all the problems that come along with it.
D

Back
Top Bottom