how do you do PWC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hc8719

Aquarium Advice Addict
how do you do your pwcs?

either no one does this, or everyone does...

i fill up empty milk gallons, dechlor them, siphon out water, and pour in new gallons

this was great when i used my old 20gal, but a bit more of a pain doing 20 gallons every pwc for my 55 gal, and now that my new tank has experienced a bacterial bloom (white cloudy water) i find myself doing pwcs every day

is it possible to just hose in water from a sink, then dechlor it or would that kill the fish too fast?

appreciate your help guys

You've got it Bud.. Just put the water from the sink into the tank and declor there. That is what I do and I believe most of the people on this forum do.. I have had no adverse effects as of yet.

I siphon out, and fill it back with 5 gallon buckets from the tub (faster than the kitchen sink)

dump in the appropriate amount of start right, (2 capfuls for 20 gallons) and some salt, and I'm done.

I just take water out, about 40-60% a week, depending how lazy im feeling, but i never dechlor the water, im lucky LOL.

i have a gravel vac and two five gal buckets. i fill one bucket up from the tap and treat it. then i siphon from the tank into the other bucket, re-fill with the treated water. done.

the perks of having a 10 gal tank.

although, when i upgrade to a larger tank, i would think the a python is the way to go.

I have a battery powered gravel vac that I attached a 12 foot hose to. I throw the end of the hose out the closest door so I don't have to worry about the moving the old water. Then I fill 5 gallon buckets from the tub and de-clor in the tank.

so you'd all agree that the chlorine wont kill the fish while i put it in the tank then dechlor it?

Only if you forget to add the dechlor after you fill the tank (happened recently to another member). I would add the dechlor first, then fill the tank - if for no other reason than it eliminates the possibility of getting distracted and not adding it after filling.

I usually add mine while my python is filling the tank. So you don't use a python? I didn't think there were any of your kind left in the world. ;)

bosk1 said:
I usually add mine while my python is filling the tank. So you don't use a python? I didn't think there were any of your kind left in the world. ;)

I don't have a python, either. I still use the good ol' bucket method. 8)

i swear by the python! but then again, i have a 125g, so buckets are basically out. i throw the dechlor in while the tank is filling up. it's pretty instantaneous when it hits the water, so the fish aren't really exposed to much chlorine or chloramine.

crazycat said:
i swear by the python! but then again, i have a 125g, so buckets are basically out. i throw the dechlor in while the tank is filling up. it's pretty instantaneous when it hits the water, so the fish aren't really exposed to much chlorine or chloramine.

I think a python should be a mandetory buy for anyone with a 25gal or larger tank, i just cant see going back to using a old fashioned gravel pump and a 5 gallon bucket to refill my tank. With the Python the most effort you have to put in to the PWC is winding and unwinding the hose, maybe watching out that you dont suck up tetras too :D

I think a python should be a mandetory buy for anyone with a 25gal or larger tank, i just cant see going back to using a old fashioned gravel pump and a 5 gallon bucket to refill my tank.
bosk1 wrote:
I usually add mine while my python is filling the tank. So you don't use a python? I didn't think there were any of your kind left in the world.

I don't have a python, either. I still use the good ol' bucket method.

What is wrong with a gravel vac???? its cheap easy to use and works well, i have a 30 gal tank and a 45 gal tank i use the gravel vac for both, its not HARD, its just around 20-30 buckets, if you get put of by that your just lazy imo lol.

I siphon tank water into 7 gallon buckets, dump it (on the lawn), and fill those same buckets with fresh water, hit it with some Prime, and dump it in the tanks. And yes, despite how many tanks I have, and the fact that two are 275 gallon, thats what I do...gives me good shoulder muscles, and I like the control it gives me.

Dose dechlor while re-filling with use of the python. I admire bucket people though and to be sure, I still have mine in the event the python goes south. Nothing like using the methods of yore.

now that ive got my 55 running... the bucket is getting to be a b***

i'll think ill upgrade to the python tommorow

i know they make the 25ft and 50ft you guys know how much they cost?

Back
Top Bottom