how do you filter a betta-setup like this??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
i'm thinking of converting my 10 gallon into something like this......
6434_41.jpg

how do I filter a design like this???
how do I ensure the filter passes thru all the divided regions?
(the intake will only be on one side of the tank - how can poo be collected from the other side)

is it a canister? if so, you might be able to rig up some pvc on the return pipe. Have a stopper on the end, and just drill holes in the pvc where you want it to come out. That might work, but then again, it might all just come out of the first hole...well, with my luck it would lol.

ya that filter that fearlessfisch gave the link for is pretty good for stuff like that. And how bout just getting one betta, but giving him the whole tank? I agree with fearless on this one, that thats a small area for each betta.

But then I read somewhere that in the wild, betta's live in rice fields or something, where the water is only like, 4 inches deep or something...

On the other hand tho, bettas are only supposed to live about 2 or 4 years arent they? I had one that had the whole ten gallon tank by himself that lived for about 5 and a half years, and he looked full grown when i bought him.

If your dividers have enough holes so water can pass through easily, you can get by with one filter. Have the intake on one end & output on the other & water should circulate through all compartments. You'll have to gravel vac each compartmetns to pick up mulm tho.

I agree that there is not much swimming room in the pic's setup. But if you divide the tank into 3, it should be pretty good.

That is the worst myth and the most harmful to the poor fish- in reality bettas occasionally have to survive in 4 inches of water during the dry season, Occasionally and Survive, not a permanent living space and they don't thrive.

If you planned to filter this at all I'd just put tiny, homemade box filters with a sponge in each compartment. You really don't need to filter these though. For cleaning up fish poop just get a turkey baster to suction the gravel.

Bettas have been reported to live over 8 years with proper care.

jsoong said:
If your dividers have enough holes so water can pass through easily, you can get by with one filter. Have the intake on one end & output on the other & water should circulate through all compartments. You'll have to gravel vac each compartmetns to pick up mulm tho.

I agree that there is not much swimming room in the pic's setup. But if you divide the tank into 3, it should be pretty good.

I agree, one small cannister filter, and drill several small holes in each divider for flow. You don't want too few holes or one side will drain and the other will overflow. Might also help if the divider doesn't quite touch the bottom, but is well below the gravel height, so the fish don't tunnel through.

I wouldn't do more than one divider (2 male bettas) in a 10. Bettas do great with more swimming space.

Back
Top Bottom