How do you get a very young fish to eat well when there are bigger faster fish around

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fanyfin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think young fish need to eat well and more frequently (like 3X a day) to grow bigger faster.

But when you already have various fish in your tank most of which are mature and 2 to 3 inches long, and you just added this new juvenile fish that's only 0.75 inch long, how do you ensure it is eating well so that it can grow big and strong promptly?

The other older bigger fish are faster and more dominant so they get to all the food that the little one hardly ends up getting anything.

I am thinking I should just take out the little guy into a separate tank just during feeding time to feed him alone and then put him back in my main tank. Will that work or will that do more harm by causing stress from going into a separate container for feeding back and forth three times a day?

Way more stressful to catch the fish 3 times a day (plus thinking about attempting to catch a single fish in my planted 40b would take hours and be very frustrating) if you’re really worried you could put them in a grow out tank until you’re comfortable adding them to the main tank. I personally wouldn’t worry about it that’s not a big size difference

Back
Top Bottom