How do you judge an LFS?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would agree with you on the meds, however, I'm not just throwing meds in and crossing my fingers. I have good experience using Microbe-Lift products, they are top of the line and they work fast. I have come to trust it and I also know it does not harm the fish. They have for both freshwater and saltwater.

Though you can QT a fish for as long as you want, it doesn't mean anything, they could die soon after for any apparent reason. Fish need other fish for health, and if the meds help all the fish including the sick one then that's even better.

I know the LFS is a business, have no illusions about that but so is any online fish seller. That said, I've met some very good fish keepers at LFS's every where.

Quaranting can do a lot, obviously because keeping them in quarantining them for a bit can keep them healthy and maybe boost their immune system, allowing for better protection against disease and no outbreak in your main tanks. Fish die for any apparent reason but that's after a long time and quaranting can keep them living longer. The whole point of the hobby is to keep them living for as long as possible. As for LFS, the number one priority of an LFS is business, but that being said there are some LFS that can give you accurate advice.

When you walk in an LFS to form your opinion, look around. Ask the employee if he has his own tanks and about their success. Watch the tanks, spend some time. But know what you're talking about. If you walk in to a store looking for a mandarin dragonet, know the look and behavior of a healthy specimen. Don't expect anyone who sells fish for a living to put your (or the fish) needs above their own. People who sell fish for a living expect to make a living selling fish. That equals the need for profit. I don't blame anyone for that. It's your responsibility to educate yourself.

True. Doing research on fish and quaranting them before hand can save you a LOT of trouble. I'm still researching what to do with my twenty gallon tank that I've had a month now.

And to keep this on topic for the OP, judging a LFS is all up to your preference. IMO if you really want to see what this place is like on a consistent basis, the best you can do is visit it often and see what it is like overall.

+1 Completely agree bruins. Visit regularly. Talk to different folks. Different times of the month. Find out what days they get shipments and what days they clean tanks, etc. Are they involved in local reef clubs? Our local LFS sponsors a local reef club. All of them have tanks of their own. Most of them give good advice. But I know that they have a job to do. Sell me more stuff, especially the brands and styles of stuff they sell. For example, when I looked for skimmers, they sell ASM. I didn't like the sizes so the owner said "hey, check out reef octopus, but I really endorse ASM", and he gave me a small list of brands he had personal experience with to avoid. I researched on my own and bought a reef octopus 2 weeks later online from marine depot. My LFS are good people, who sometimes get diseased fish from their suppliers. It happens. They quarantine what they get before they put it up for sale but sometimes one gets through. Know your stuff and you'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom