How do you say betta?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Although folks pronounce it "bay-ah" all the time, the correct pronounciation is "bet-uh". "Bay-tuh" (beta) is a letter in the Greek alphabet.

Originally from Ohio and I say Bay-ta I live in Minnesota and they say Bay-ta here as well. I have never heard anyone call them bet-a

For what it's worth, when a word has double consonants, the vowel preceding them is short. For example:
later / latter
taping / tapping
diner / dinner
riding / ridding

For what it's worth, when a word has double consonants, the vowel preceding them is short. For example:
later / latter
taping / tapping
diner / dinner
riding / ridding

Except for: scrolled and patrolled. They have long vowel sounds. :eek:)

The name of the genus is derived from ikan bettah, taken from a local dialect of Malay.

Except for: scrolled and patrolled. They have long vowel sounds. :eek:)

True; however, in this case, we're referring to words that are spelled the same save for the doubling of one consonant, which then changes the pronunciation of a vowel from long to short. There is no "scroled" or "patroled"

I say bayta but have heard it pronounced betah

The one thing about rules in engilsh grammar is there is always an exception. :)

I think 99% of people here in the US say bay-ta, unless they have looked up how to say it or have been corrected in the past lol

I've always said "bay-ta", even after being informed of the correct pronunciation. I tried a couple times to say "bet-ta" but people would look at me in confusion like "you mean bay-ta?" So I've stuck with it ever since then.

I think 99% of people here in the US say bay-ta, unless they have looked up how to say it or have been corrected in the past lol

I've always said "bay-ta", even after being informed of the correct pronunciation. I tried a couple times to say "bet-ta" but people would look at me in confusion like "you mean bay-ta?" So I've stuck with it ever since then.

Lol I get the same. But I say it right anyway! :D lol

Back
Top Bottom