how do you store your RO water?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeymourFRESH

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am still considering RO water. I am just wondering, for those of you who keep this, where and how do you store it, and do you have to keep it at a certain temperature? does it have to be refrigerated? etc....

you store your RO water in an RO bucket, with a lid. a good alternative to the RO bucket is an RO jug, with a lid. the most common temperature for storing water is the ambient temperature of the room it is in.

hmm not trying to sound stupid here, but when you say RO jug and RO bucket, does that mean it has to be a jug or a bucket made for RO water? or will just any sealed container do? i'm keeping some in some coolers now....would that be alright?

Maybe try and get a hold of some empty water bubbler (water cooler) containers, they hold about 5 gallons and usually have a removable lid. I use HDPE carboys (lab stuff) that hold about the same amount and have handles, a spigot and a screw on cap. They are expensive, though, so unless you can get some cheaply, and that have not been contaminated with some weird chemical they're probably not an option.

A new, clean, plastic trash can with a lid should do fine as well, if you need larger quantities. Thoroughly rinse it (no soap) before use. Make sure it has not been treated to block odors or anything like that.

Coolers are probably OK, but they aren't really designed to be completely full of liquid, and may crack or break, and since most have some kind of foam insulation, a crack could mean contamination.

I use a large rubbermade trash can with wheels under it. I think that it is a 30 gallon. I keep a powerhead in it running 24-7 to keep the water from going stagnent.

why does storing water have to be so complicated? water is water, ro, distilled, bottled, salt, tap, etc. just store it in some clean containers, preferably with lids, and put it aside until you need it and out of direct sunlight. i dont understand the need for powerheads or anything else. how can contained water go stagnent, unless you store it for 20 years?

see that is why i was asking this question, because i am unsure of what exactly will make the water go stagnent, (if in fact it would at all)

I get RO water from a machine at the grocery store. I use empty bottled water gallon jugs. I store it at room temperature. The temperature of the room I store it in is probably 72-76 degrees. I use the RO water up within a month - I try not to get any more than I'll use within a month. Once a jug got pushed behind one of those little carts of drawers and I didn't find it for probably 6 months. I didn't use it in the tanks because it had a musty smell.

what i meant by an RO bucket or jug is simply a clean container that you only keep RO water in, maybe marked as such. an old water gallon jug for example or a good clean 5 gal bucket with a lid. these are easily moved and you really shouldnt have to worry about storing them for extended periods because in all likelyhood, you will have used it up by then.

bound_for_obx said:
Speaking from experience, the RODI water in my trash will get funky if the water isn't circulated.

well dont keep it in the trash and use it before it gets funky.

Back
Top Bottom