how does melafix impact the biological filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleynicole

Aquarium Advice Addict
One of my cories has a fungus around his eye. I am assuming that this is because I have the temperatures elevated to eradicate ich, and the warm environment fostered this fungal growth (perhaps he had an abrasion or something). Anyway, I added melafix as directed and I was thinking the melafix might help with the ich treatment, since I can't put salt in with my plants, but then I got to thinking, it is a natural treatment but it does have antibacterial properties. Is this going to kill my nitrifying bacteria?

The melafix has really helped overnight. The fungus is gone, just a little redness around the eye. But does anyone have any input on the way melafix impacts the biological filter?

its safe and doesn't impact the biological filter.
Unlike antibiotics, melafix/pimafix is a natural remedy.

Just follow the instructions.
After treatment is over, do a water change to remove the medication.

even though its natural, it still has antibacterial qualities. has anyone every had ammonia or nitrite spikes with melafix?

I've never heard of anyone experiencing issues with their bio-filter after use. Apparently there's also been several independent lab tests which prove it doesn't adversely effect the beneficial bacteria...but it also shows the products antibacterial claims are unsubstantiated.

MelaFix - Melaleuca Tea Tree Oil

I've used melafix for years to treat fungus and its very effective. I wonder if gentian violet is safe for fish?

Back
Top Bottom