How does my stocking look?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goalorientation

Aquarium Advice Activist
How do ya'll feel about the mix of cichlids I have in my 29g? 3 Jewels, 3 Clown loaches, 2 convicts (all 8 of which are juvenile 1"ers), 3" BP, 2" Synodontis eupterus (african catfish). I've done a lot of research on the compatibility of these fish and tank size requirements and they seem to get along great. I don't know how well clown loaches do with different african cichlid species but for the ones I have they're truly an icebreaker. They even calmed my BP down, which I thought would die after an oscar did some work to it in my 50g tank. How can I make the 29g better?, dispite being borderline overstocked. Any ideas as far as trading fish in to avoid future complications?

The clown loaches grow much too big for a 29 gal tank. They typically grow to at least 12 inches in size. I've heard reports of 18". Convicts are pretty aggressive and repopulate like crazy. They are also South American, not African. If you have a M/F mix, you may want to get a larger tank or remove one of them. There are many posts made on here from people that have too many fry and can not get rid of them. lol It happens all too often. I do not have personal experience with the others so I can't help.

What are the 3" BP? Is that Blood parrots?

How about you post all the fish that you have in each of your tanks. That would make it eaier.

Well I got my dad's community tank to raise fry in! He has 8 red mollies of his own ATM. Think I can trade those to the LFS? I saw they had fry when I was in there and they didnt even know, it was like a ghosttown.
Mine-
50g 6" tiger, 4"albino, 6" suncat, 4" black shark, 6" common pleco... though the 6's are modest guesses. I'm a lil worried about family coming over (sis and 2 kids) they're young so i gotta give lessons? Cuz I will tackle a lil buzzard for putting hands on my glass.

29g {2 convicts (m/f i hope), 3 clown loaches, 3 jewel cichlids} all juve's, 2" syno eupterus, 3" BP This one in my room all these fish came from tighter LFS parameters than necessary. Treating the BP from an oscar bout.

Dads-
30g fry tank mollies, zebras, guppies

Just wanted to make sure they were not Tiger barbs/loaches or Albino Sharks or what not.

Ok, lets try this again.

For the 50 gal, the Oscars are way too big for the tanks listed. You need at least a 75 gal. The Black Shark does not belong. They grow up to 2' in size. The common pleco also needs a larger tank. I'm not sure what the suncat is since I've never kept one. Maybe someone else does.

For the 29 gal tank, the loaches do not belong in a tank that size. They grow far too big for a small tank. The Eupterus also gets too big for that tank. Blood Parrots also grow too large for a 29. The convict is a SA and too aggressive for a small tank. LA may say that they require 30 gal, but they grow to 6 inches in size. IMO, a 29 gal just does not provide enough swimming space for such a large fish. And for the jewel, I can't help you out on that one since I've never kept one.

Honestly, the tanks need an overhaul on the inhabitants. I hate to say it but they just do not belong in the tank sizes. You said that you researched the fish, what sites did you use? I'm just curious which sites say that these fish are appropriate for the tank sizes.

My advice, trade them all in and get community fish for the 29 gal tank. With the 50 gal you have more flexibility but you need to seriously plan on the tanks before purchasing anything. You could keep the Convicts in the 50 gal, but none of the others that were listed.

Okay thank you I work at a pet store so it shouldn't be difficult to find homes for them. My boss has a 55g corner with 3 giant danios in it... any of my fish work for him? I was thinking the BP after it gets better.

EDIT* IMO returning any of the fish I have to a LFS would further cramp their already cramped territories so that's out of the quesiton.

Then go to another lfs. If you take them to where you work, they will be sold soon anyways. You asked for advice so I gave it. Unless you want to buy larger tanks, they need to be returned for optimal health of the fish.

So exactly what fish should I seek to get rid of in what tank? Is there an online resource to get in contact with local fish traders?

PS- I do wanna buy larger tanks! But I'm up over $600 between the two of them this year so I'm gonna slow down before I go overboard.

I know what you mean about wanting bigger tanks. Although I have gone a bit overboard so far. MTS isn't such a bad thing IMO. :wink:

All of them. The only one that would be appropriate would be the Convicts and they should be put in the 50 gal. If you keep the convicts I wouldn't keep the parrot. Or you could keep the parrot and take back the convicts. I hope this helps.

I don't mean to sound pesimistic, but who would want the fish that I have, being they are very popular ones? I already listed them all in the local classified ads and along with work hope to find these adorable fish decent homes.

I'm thinking about moving my computer off of this stand to make room for a 36"x36" (base) custom tank... any input?

I think you could keep either the 2 convicts or 2 of the jewel cichlids in the 29g but nothing else.
What is the length and width of the 50g? If it is a 48" x 18" tank, you could probably keep one oscar in it. The BP would be fine in the 50g but not with those fish you have in there. Festivums and/or angelfish would probably be ok with the BP.

Back
Top Bottom