How does this sound? (15 gallon setup)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rubysoho

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, I am slowly planning the setup of my freebie- what I think to be - 15 gallon square tank. So, here are some options I have come up with (all depends on availability at the LFSs)

Inverts
2-3 Cherry Fire Shrimp (if unavailable, ghost shrimp)
1 Apple Snail

Fish
1 Dwarf Gourami
(more research coming)

Decoration and Plants
Driftwood
Anubias
Java Fern
WaterSprite
Wisteria

Now, the plants I am unsure about. This is most likely a moderate light system. And I need to do some tests on my water to make sure the pH will not drop too far for the shrimp. But, we'll see. I am still figuring out other options for fish. I LOVE rubbernose plecos, but I am pretty sure they need a bit more space than this 15 gallon tank. Being square, I left out tetras and other fast moving fish since there is not too much side to side space for zooming. The other option could be a harem of female bettas. I did that before, and loved my girls. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Oh, and my other idea would be to make this a habitat for brackish like the dwarf puffers or a high flow habitat for a mogurnda nesolepis. I did like the look of the puffers at he LFS. Very cute, and something I have not done before. I just love planted tanks though.

A dwarf puffer would be neat in a cube. Not sure if you could go with 2 of them though. I think cherry barbs would do alright in the tank. A bushynose pleco may fit in there fine. A few corydoras for the bottom would work alright.

You dont have to make the tank for a dwarf puffer. They are the only completely freshwater puffer from what I know.

I had a herrum female bettas it was really interesting.

Well good luck.

Dt, I was under the impression that the dwarf puffers were also slightly brackish. If they aren't. then they will be going into my setup, and I figure out the rest based on compatibility. I was excited to see them at my LFS because when I used to have tanks those were never to be found (small town, different state).

Off to do some more research. :)

Dwarf puffers are fresh water. However, they're supposed to be quite territorial and not conducive to many tank mates. Dwarfpuffers.com is a pretty good web site about them (there've also been a couple articles in a few of the big magazines lately...can't remember which ones though...sorry!)

Yep, I believe dwarf puffers are completely freshwater fish.

A dwarf puffer tank would be pretty cool. They're very interesting fish. :)

Back
Top Bottom