How fast can a cycle establish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Talvari

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was just curious, if you used an old filter cartridge from a previously established tank, how quickly would the new tank be cycled?

I started up a 10 gallon tank on this past Sunday. Put the water in, added conditioner, added some flake food to help add ammonia and placed a filter cartridge from my 55 gallon tank into the filter.

I did a water test today, out of curiosity, using a masterkit.
Ammonia: .25
NitrIte: 0
NitrAte: 10

There is no way the tank can be cycled already.... Right?

If its from a cycled tank it's almost instant but you need a bio load to keep the bb alive I add my fish right away when I cycle with my used media and check my water 2 times a day for a couple weeks

I added my two remaining tiger barbs from my 55 gallon tank into there this morning after testing. They will be rehomed next week so its not a long term situation, but I figured that would be better than the other options.

Not to mention the little buggers were going after my cory cat fish. It was never a problem before, but now that they are done from 6... They have become decidedly more aggressive.

You're right where I'm at with my 10 gall. I pulled a filter from another 10 gal Saturday - tested today and have .25 ammonia - no trites and about .10ish trates. I was surprised.

I'm getting it going for my 11 baby cherry barbs so I'm going to be a little bit more careful about adding the fish. I did put some *deli shrimp in a mesh bag in there today. I'd love to get that ammonia down to zero and the trates up just a little bit more. I want to wait out a nitrite spike so I'll be testing those daily from here out.

jmpgop said:
You're right where I'm at with my 10 gall. I pulled a filter from another 10 gal Saturday - tested today and have .25 ammonia - no trites and about .10ish trates. I was surprised.

I'm getting it going for my 11 baby cherry barbs so I'm going to be a little bit more careful about adding the fish. I did put some *deli shrimp in a mesh bag in there today. I'd love to get that ammonia down to zero and the trates up just a little bit more. I want to wait out a nitrite spike so I'll be testing those daily from here out.

Well if your showing 10 trates you likely passed the trite spike

Well if your showing 10 trates you likely passed the trite spike

I'll check again this morning. I'm a bit gun shy. I had trates established in my 36 gallon when I started it this summer and introduced a new fish and trite spiked. :( Granted it was a dirty fish, BUT still- I'm just a little gun shy...

jmpgop said:
I'll check again this morning. I'm a bit gun shy. I had trates established in my 36 gallon when I started it this summer and introduced a new fish and trite spiked. :( Granted it was a dirty fish, BUT still- I'm just a little gun shy...

Well it's good to be cautious I am just saying most cases but while it's still showing ammonia better to be safe

.25 ammonia means it is not cycled. And the 10 trate could be from all the old filter gunk

Back
Top Bottom