Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-26-2012, 02:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Fishandmusic81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 923
How good are assassin snails?

A person on craigslist is selling assassin snails I've heard a lot about these snails especially that take care of pest snails
So people usually buy more than one I'm guessing they will reproduce?
Do they eat plants?
Do they eat up leftover food?
I have a mystery snail would they eat him?
And am I better off keeping the mystery snail and hope the snail problem doesn't get worse it's not that bad and I don't overfeed so I dont think the population will explode
But would it be better just to get 1 assassin snail?
Thanks

__________________
Fishandmusic81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Mr.Albiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Derbyshire, England
Posts: 611
As far as I'm aware they do not attack any other snails that are bigger than themselves, which would include your Mystery Snail and Nerite Snails.

That's all I'm able to help you with I'm afraid though.
__________________
Mr.Albiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
LyndaB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishandmusic81 View Post
A person on craigslist is selling assassin snails I've heard a lot about these snails especially that take care of pest snails
So people usually buy more than one I'm guessing they will reproduce?
Do they eat plants?
Do they eat up leftover food?
I have a mystery snail would they eat him?
And am I better off keeping the mystery snail and hope the snail problem doesn't get worse it's not that bad and I don't overfeed so I dont think the population will explode
But would it be better just to get 1 assassin snail?
Thanks
I bought 7 a few years ago. Now, I have about 30-40. It takes them a long time to spawn, not like the pest snails.

Tank size and snail problem size will determine how many to get.

They do not eat plants.

Mine eat algae wafers, frozen foods, basically anything I feed to my fish, although of course, they really prefer live food.

I've had one eat a very small mystery snail. If there's any size to the mystery, it won't be bothered.
__________________
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Fishandmusic81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB

I bought 7 a few years ago. Now, I have about 30-40. It takes them a long time to spawn, not like the pest snails.

Tank size and snail problem size will determine how many to get.

They do not eat plants.

Mine eat algae wafers, frozen foods, basically anything I feed to my fish, although of course, they really prefer live food.

I've had one eat a very small mystery snail. If there's any size to the mystery, it won't be bothered.
That's a lot lol
Well it's only a 10 gallon with just very few pond snails would 1 be good? I just dont want a lot of snails a mystery and assassin would be good
__________________
Fishandmusic81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
LyndaB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5,816
Yeah, just get one.

You'd be surprised at how teeny tiny the baby assassins are. They stay under the substrate for their first few months and when they come up, I need a magnifying glass to really look at them, they're that small. Then, I just share them with others. No biggie.
__________________
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Fishandmusic81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB
Yeah, just get one.

You'd be surprised at how teeny tiny the baby assassins are. They stay under the substrate for their first few months and when they come up, I need a magnifying glass to really look at them, they're that small. Then, I just share them with others. No biggie.
Ok now I just gotta make the drive
Awesome sounds like a cool little snail to have around then
Do they grow quickly?
__________________
Fishandmusic81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
LyndaB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 5,816
I can't really say. When you have a bunch of them, you can't really tell who's who.
__________________
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Fishandmusic81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB
I can't really say. When you have a bunch of them, you can't really tell who's who.
That's very true lol
Thanks for the info!
__________________
Fishandmusic81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 07:50 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western Cape, South Africa
Posts: 93
Thanks guys, you just helped with my decission...

See Threat titled: To assassinate or Not?

__________________
Lotsofbabies
Just keep swimming...
Lotsofbabies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
assassin, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.