How hard is moving tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GallonsOfFun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I currently own one 55 gallon with 1 fish in it and I have just been offered a great deal on another 55, which would be a community tank and house somewhere around 25 fish (10 of which would be small schooling fish).

I've never moved a full fish tank before and due to internships I'll have to spend my next two summers in a separate place to where I currently am. This would mean I'd have to move my tanks once in May and once in August both this summer and next. After that, they would be in a permanent place.

I'm undecided whether to set up the 2nd 55g or not due to the difficulty of moving. The move would be roughly and hour and yes I could make two trips if needed, but I am able to move both tanks at once. What do you guys think?

Too much stress for you and them fish, dude... finish school and build a tank room!!![emoji39]

Clem.

Too much stress for you and them fish, dude... finish school and build a tank room!!![emoji39]

Clem.
Oh, by the grab the tank if its a deal and store it for future???

Clem.

I will say this. My 55 I gave to my father-in-law with all the fish. I am moving to North Carolina in a few months. Its going to be a 12 hour move. Now just to give you an idea with out drive time being factored in.

Last time I moved from house to house.
I had to drain my fish tank and put my fish into a 5 gallon bucket.
I had to finish draining my fish tank to move the darn thing.
load the tank in the back of truck, load the stand on the back of the truck, load fish in cab.

into the new house.

Put up stand, put up tank, put in sand, put in water, treat water, set up tank.
Fill with water.
Monitor temperature.
Test water.
Acclimate fish.
Add fish.
Your talking a few hours in the bucket minimum I think my move was 3.5 hours before the fish where put back in the tank.

I wouldn't recommend moving fish any real distances. It would just be better to wait until you get settled in. For your sake and the sake of the fish.

Under the circumstances with you moving like that I would have to agree on waiting. Much easier on you and the fish you would have been moving.

Tanks are not that hard to move but it's good to have a buddy especially in larger tanks like a 55g they are heavy!

Caleb

Thanks guys, I'm inclined to agree!

I'm fully confident moving my one tank with one fish in it (I'm even making a separate trip to when I move all of my other stuff), it's just the doubling of equipment and extra 25 fish that make me doubt it.

I may just set up a 10g betta tank for now. Think any betta would welcome those moves after being kept in those horrible little cups!

Also, I agree, I want to buy it even if I don't set it up. It's a used 55 gallon tank with a really nice (but old) stand, with a penguin bio wheel HOB filter, and substrate - all for $90! I'm just worried if I buy it I won't be able to resist putting something in it!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom